1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Servers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richman, 1 Apr 2004.

1. richman

richman What's a Dremel?

Hi i have just got a new case so i have 1 spare and decided to build a file server which i can store al my mp3's moview and downloads on. I was just woundering if someone could giv eme a spec that would work.

Cheers
    Richman

2. RTT

RTT #parp

For just a server, anything like a celeron, PIII, K6/2+, Duron 600 would do. Just get a whopping HDD and away you go :cooldude:

3. richman

richman What's a Dremel?

OMG i got a reply from admin *bows down* i neva had a reply from admin lol :rock:

What mobo would u say use? What about ram? PSU? does it need a cd-rom?
    That kind of thing

Richman

4. RTT

RTT #parp

Just grab any old hardware dude, it really doesnt matter what spec it is as long as it'll run your choice of operating system. People I know run old machines like 400MHz K6/2s with 128MB ram and win98.
    CDROM - yes, initially anyway - to install OS from. :thumb:

5. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

if its just serving files, FTP style, then a machine from a musiam will do, all you need is a network card, a fully hardware one might be worthwhile.
    A lot of the onboard network cards don't have a propper stack space (most network cards have 64kbytes of their own) these on board ones tend to interupt the CPU every 16bits recived, as such, they have terrible performance, on low end CPU machines.

These cards can normally be pulled from a dumpster or about £10.

6. ajack

ajack rox

Try getting old hardware off people tbh, thats what I did with my firewall. For my file server I went for the cheapest option possible, £20 case, 1.1 gig Duron, 512mb ddr (had it lying around) and a £30 mobo. It really doesnt need to be high spec at all, just get a huge hdd as rtt said :)

7. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

yah.. my http/ftp server is a 450mhz P3, rage128, w/192mb ram and 28GB of hard drive, no cd-rom or anything. very little downtime, which is nice.

my LAN going machine is an miniATX 800mhz duron, MX440, 256mb PC133, 40GB hard drive. but when that is at home it takes the role of an oversized mp3 players. It's been on for 3 weeks non-stop now running 4 days (4gb? cant remember..) of mp3s again.. and again...

i paid nothing for either of them and they both use corporate XP pro :worried:

webserver was a 200mhz P pro, that all goes to show you can this stuff on anything... if you got a REALLY poor system, like the P pro you might wanna consider using an OS like win2k (or if you know your linux use a stripped down distro like damnsmall linux).

as RTT said, just find what ever is around, and if you cant, ask your friends/work what they got spare, maybe look in the for sale section of this forum or post a WTD?

8. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Are you just going to share the drives out on the machine or set up a domain using the new machine as the controller?

9. Carbon

Carbon Banned

my server is a Compaq SFF with a 350mhz pII, 128mb ram and a 8gig drive :D

10. Joel

Joel What's a Dremel?

i run a small nfs server on a p200, 64 megs of ram, controls the images for my seti farm...

my mainserver is a dual athlon mp1800+ with 2 gigs of ram and 750(or thereabouts)gb of space

just chuck what you can at it, you can always upgrade later..

11. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

I just started to build and setup my own web server (PIII , 128MB RAM , 15GB HD) . I probably will be my FTP server too. more HD space...hehe ..
    my post is just around...here

12. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

My file server: AMD Athlon 2000+, 512MB PC3200, 40GB HDD, GeForce FX5200 128MB, 16x DVD-ROM, Philips CD-RW.

This isn't what you need though, you can get away with really old components but i use mine as a gaming pc as well so it's an alright machine for that as well.

13. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

I'm just about to setup an old PC myself as a server :dremel:. Like most others say, just throw whatever you've got at it. Mine has 450Mhz P2 with 128MB SDRAM, 20GB HDD, CDROM, FDD, 230Watt PSU and a Net card. A server doesn't need anything special though. Except lots of LEDs. Yah, a server needs LEDs! :D

14. Chris`I

Chris`I What's a Dremel?

Agree with all the others. Try to get a low heat CPU (anything old basically) as its easier to silence. Here at uni I have a Cele 900/152MB/no gfx/no CD-ROM with a single fan (excluding PSU) on 5v, very hard to hear it from 6". At home I also have a smoothwall running on a P233/32MB/no gfx/no CD-ROM

All you need is a very basic setup for a fileserver. Most important, MASSIVE HDD :rock:

15. buzzy

buzzy What's a Dremel?

You guys have a very different idea of a low spec PC to what I do...

450MHz for a file server? Overkill! A P100, because it's easy to passively cool, enough RAM to keep the OS happy (linux: 64Mb, Win: 128) and as much disk as you can throw at it...

16. richman

richman What's a Dremel?

I have now completed my server :D.

I just need external hardware. Router and Switch what would u guys reccomend as i have no experiance with either.

Cheers
    Richman

17. buzzy

buzzy What's a Dremel?

If you're planning on getting (or already have) DSL, then the netgear DG834 is pretty good. It's a DSL router with a 4 port switch inbuilt, so you don't need any other gear - unless you have more than 4 PCs in which case you can link another switch into any of the 4 ports on the DG834.

They're around £80, a bit more if you want the option with WiFi inbuilt.

Not sure about NTL cable routers.

Cheers
    Buzzy

18. richman

richman What's a Dremel?

I only need a server for the time being as i cannot share my net (GOD DAM AOL :duh: ) so i will just get a switch for now then add a router at a later date.

I was looking on www.redstore.com and came across this little switch, what do u think: -

[​IMG]
    Richman

19. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

I use a dlink des 1008d switch at home which is the same unit just with 8 ports instead of five. Tis a good switch an havent had a single problem with mine. Go for it :)

20. richman

richman What's a Dremel?

This is a good switch i heard you say :thumb:

I will be ordering one of these on friday. Do i need UTP cable if not could u tell me what i do need.

Cheers
    Richman

Tags: