1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Several Questions about plexi

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mrobitz, 11 Feb 2004.

1. mrobitz

mrobitz What's a Dremel?

• How did some of you go about mounting the PCI cards onto your custom plexiglass cases?
    • What size of drill bit did you use to make the screw holes for pci cards
    • Size of drill bit for PSU screws
    • Size of drill bit for HDD/ Optical drives
    • lastly, is .25 inch plexi enough to support the weight of a PSU with just screws.. the same question would apply to the optical dries too.

thanks.

2. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

My recommendation, and most likely the recommendation of many others, is to not make a case out of plexi. Lexan is your friend. Its exponentially easier to fabricate with Lexan as its stronger, less susceptible to scratches, among other things.

There are also many other types of Acrylic; choose wisely.

3. The_Resetter

The_Resetter I LIKE CAKE!

Hey, Plexiglas works just as good as Lexan, sure lexan is stronger, its tougher, but that doesn’t mean plexi sux !

Just check out my project, its all plexiglas http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45820 :naughty:

4. TheEclypse

TheEclypse What's a Dremel?

hmmm, I think im gonna have to get me some lexan.

5. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

Just a little correction, Lexan isn't as scratch resistant as acrylic (or plexi). However it's shatterproof... however, it's also (unless you can find a good deal online) about twice as expensive. The reason lexan is easier to work with is because you can put it in a hand brake (like one you bend metal with) and bend it, wheras with acrylic you have to make a mold and heat up the sheet (but not too hot) until it is moldable.

There are many differences, you just have to decide which you want to work with given the properties and cost of each ;)

6. sirgeoph

sirgeoph What's a Dremel?

7. mrobitz

mrobitz What's a Dremel?

thanks guys i have all the pieces of plexi cut i am just in the finishing stages of making the case. I just need to know how to finish it off..

I didnt find plexi that hard to cut at all. I used a dremel for all my cuts and they are nearly exact. I used the drywall bit if you were curious.

if you want pics of it in progress just yell out and i will post them :rock:

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

/me yells out

9. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

a few years ago I did something with plexi, and when I cut it down using a metal shear, it shattered everything behind the blade. That kinda made me sad ;) but I finished it all the same.

A good way to cut plexi is with a glass cutter (as long as you're doing straight lines) then just sand down the edges

10. mrobitz

mrobitz What's a Dremel?

Well i posted my Project Log in the Mod Guides and at first my pictures didnt work and i am still not sure if the do now.. I think that i am Message Board Incompetant. not to mention i cant spell :grr:

11. mrobitz

mrobitz What's a Dremel?

here is the link to my project log

link

12. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

For my plexi project i used a #6 bit for all the holes and #4 size holes so i had room for error, it doesnt come loose or anything i put lock washers on it. ( i dont know if bit sizes vary in UK im in USA)