1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Sharp LC46SB54U + Sharp Support...

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 14 Nov 2008.

1. NicPre

NicPre What's a Dremel?

@DarkLord7854

Thanks for posting the article, it was the most complete one I could find via Google a few nights ago, finally got time to register and chat.

Sent them an e-mail just a moment ago, and sent them the link to this site with something along the lines that I WILL NOT jump through the terrible customer service that everyone else has had to (unfairly). I told them either send me a new TV, my money back, or fix the problem and they have one attempt to do that.

Their first e-mail will determine if I call up their customer service and escalate the issue to the people you have posted in earlier pages to contact. Let's hope it doesn't go that route.

This is ridiculous. Did they not test their Television with the most common devices before shipping it off? I can actually hardly believe this BS from Sharp. I thought they were close to the best... should have got a Vizio.

-np-

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I've heard from a lot of people that sharp are the best, but tons of people complain they are piles of junk, and my friend was saying his was amazing until after a few months it just died... then I laughed at him for buying an over-priced aquos. I've had no experience with samsung, but I have 12 tv's in my home, 11 of them are sony, and the 1 that isn't is a JVC. All i can say is sony make solid tv's, we've never had an issue, though our oldest sony is roughly 10-12 years old, still has a solid picture considering the type of tv it is. All the new lcd's we have (2x 40, 1x 26, 3x 19, 1 x 21) all have hdmi, great colour, and were reasonably priced, our 60 inch sony is a rear projection and we just replaced the bulb after 7 years which i think is reasonable, but it lacks hdmi, and our 12 year old is a 48 inch that gets the job done for our wii... Go with sony, you know you want to!

3. NicPre

NicPre What's a Dremel?

@^

Reasonably priced? Sony is the most overpriced TV on the market. And that's why Vizio is kicking their *#@.

Hate to say it too, they were at one time the TOP OF THE LINE.

Guess Vizio has earned that top spot.

-np-

4. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure quite a few different manufacturers of LCDs use Sharp panels and are one of the best manufacturers.

The new TV they gave me is still going strong, I think it's just their non-AQUOS line which is complete and utter sh*t.

I'll be buying another Sharp soon as my parents want one in the living room, however, It'll definitely be an AQUOS ;)

Good luck to you mate, post back with updates if you'd like

5. mansueto

We know a guy who runs his own television shop, so instead of paying 1299.99 plus taxes for our 40 inch sony S series tv, we payed 799.99, and he took 50 dollars off... You just gotta shop around and find someone reliable, then look around more so you can find someone to offer you the same price and then go back and bust their balls a little until they give you a better price :)

6. DarkLord7854

Do tell where this guy is. :p

7. mansueto

Star Electronics in Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada...

8. DarkLord7854

A bit far.. damn >.<

9. mansueto

It's actually funny because me and my brother went to the sony store after buying the tv to get some wireless headphones for his tv so he can play call of duty at night without disturbing everyone else, the sony rep at the store asked us how much we payed and he goes wow, i can't even get that price with my staff discount which made me lol... The first thing he said was they can price match, how much did you pay, when we told him he goes ahh nevermind :p

10. MorChaos

MorChaos What's a Dremel?

Episode 1

I bought my TV Jan 30, 2009 right before the super bowl. I am having this same issue. If you do nothing about the blank screen issue it actually will fry the inverter. It happened to me so infrequently that I thought nothing of it. Then in the last month it got worse and worse until the screen blacked out and never came back on. The green power LED flashed, no video, no sound. I called Sharp and they dispatched factory service to fix my TV. They picked up my TV and replaced 2 parts; Inverter PCB A & B. The same day I get it back from service I am back to the blinking screen. I was playing some Call of Duty World at War on the XBox360, and my screen blanked out 3 times on the first night back. It is already happening more than it originally did. My Xbox360 is connected via the HD component inputs. I used to connect the XBox360 via HDMI until I upgraded my cable service and still had the same problem. My cable box and PS3 are connected by HDMI. I have a Wii it is connected by the regular supplied game connection. Everything works flawlessly except the XBox360 (Component and HDMI). I called customer support again today. They said that I needed a firmware update and a supervisor would call me back within 24 hours. 99% of my gaming time is spent on the XBOX so they will either have to resolve this issue, replace an a$$ load inverters, or replace my TV. My lawyer has already been advised on this issue. He told me to keep him informed on the status and if he needs to step in that he was more than willing to. I got money just not tons of it so I will hold on the lawyer for the moment. What I do have is, a you got to come to my house and fix my TV service plan for the next 3 years and tons of patience. So this my episode 1 :rock:

11. MorChaos

I love my turtle beaches X4s.... I use them even if it isn't night time.

12. DarkLord7854

Feel free to make use of all the information in this thread & good luck

13. MorChaos

Episode 2

I had not heard from the supervisor as of yesterday, so I called them back. After about 2 minutes of explaining the problem again and sitting on hold for 30, Someone said they are sending me the update via Priority mail. Today Fed-Ex shows up at my door with a package from sharp. Inside this package is a priority mail package.... with a usb drive. I am impressed. Hopefully this version of the firmware update fixes the problem. I'll keep you posted.

Firmware Version S0903031
    Installed today.....

In 1 hr of playing Xbox 360 Call of Duty WAW the screen blacked out 4 times.

Calling Tech Support :wallbash:

Last edited: 14 Jul 2009
  14. DarkLord7854

It won't :)

But worth a try

15. MorChaos

Episode 3 and 4

3.) Ok... The firmware update didn't work. So the next day July 15th I called them back. I explained to them that I still got the black screen while playing on my xbox 360. So after sittting on hold for a little bit and a few transfers later I was told to switch my xboz 360 settings to 1080i. They explained that 1080p is progressive and i is interlaced. 1080p works better with the HDMI cable. 1080i works better with component. It worked for a while. Now my screen is back to black again.

4.) Called tech support again. July 16th. The rep on the phone was baffled and escalated my case. I tried different inputs switching between HDMI and Component. I have tried the firmware update. I have tried switching my xbox360 settings. I still have the same problem. I talked to a rep who said that they have exhausted all their means to fixing the problem. I was transfered to a rep who looked at my case and said that they had to research it further. Will call you back within 24 hrs. That was a few days ago now, still no callback. :wallbash:

16. DarkLord7854

Dude, they're giving you the same run-around they did to me. Call them back, tell them their extremely piss-poor support is reaching ridiculous levels, that you have proof that loads of other people have the problem and that they either need to a) give you a refund, or b) give you a new TV.

Link them to this thread if you want, but you're just following the same sh*t they put me through right now and it won't end until you tighten the bolt and start biting back.

17. MorChaos

Still Waiting

Dispatch was supposed to call me back with 24 hrs of my last post.... I have called a couple times, and someone was supposed to get back to me. Still waiting:sigh:

18. DarkLord7854

Keep calling. They will NOT call. EVER. Call them. Every hour. Until they send you a new TV, seriously. Hurry before they leave for the day.

19. MorChaos

Episode 5

Finally got someone from dispatch. They are going to switch the TV. The dispatcher asked if I wanted a phone call back, once she figured out what was going to happen. I said no, I'll wait on hold for how ever long it takes. Do not accept a phone call back. I have worked in a call center before. Once they hang-up with you another call from the "Q" is usually immediately put through to them (the only way to make it through the days call volume). If that person doesn't keep good notes, it is very easy for them to forget about your call back. They never called me back once. They are exchanging my TV out for a LC46D85UN. I had to give them one of my credit cards, so if I don't return the original TV they have something to charge. The dispatcher said it takes up to 48hrs for the exchange to process and 7-10 business days for the TV to be shipped to me...... Will keep you posted. I can see light at the end of the tunnel....:clap:

20. DarkLord7854

They took your card details? Really? They didn't even ask me for anything except my address.

Well hope the new TV works out, let us know.