1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should people be able to change their entries?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by J-Pepper, 3 Jul 2006.

?

Should people be able to change their entries?

Poll closed 14 Jul 2006.
  1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  1. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

I'm not sure if I can change my entry now though now that I have submitted it already.

What is the consensus on this, is it OK to edit your entry once submitted? I have a feeling it should be a flat NO, but what if it was only for small adjustments?

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Jul 2006
  2. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I'm of the opinion that it's two entries in the month. If you stick in two early on, but find better shots later, it is my belief you should be at liberty to rescind your earlier entries for the newer ones. So editing an existing entry is the same. You replace the earlier one with the newer one.

Nothing wrong with that, imo. :)

Last edited: 12 Jul 2006
  3. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Right everyone's going to have to decide whether photos can be re-entered (if better entries are found later in the month). Hitman012 has kindly added a poll so you can vote on whether it should or shouldn't be allowed. I'm going to close the poll a week from today at midnight BST, so there'll still be time to go out shooting after it depending on the outcome of the poll.

Edit: it does in fact say in the rules that you can't edit them, and I'm aware of that, but since there's been some questioning of it it's best to leave it up to the polls.

4. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

From this point forth, all comments should be made in the individual entry's thread in the POTM sub forum. I am trying my best to split comments out and stitch them together with their intended target but it'll take a while to do all of them.

I'm leaving this thread open for the moment, just until I've managed to split off the poll, to allow people to still vote.

Cheers,

Hwu

5. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I noticed some stuff flying this way and that with each refresh.
    Cheers mate.

6. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm spent.

Holy crap that took two hours to split and stitch all the comments from this thread to their appropriate entry threads. Damn sight better for it though imo (please don't say it was all in vain!)

7. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Nice work Hwulex.. if it was me, I would;ve just everyone to repost their entries over.. but then I can be terrible at times ! :D

8. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Ouch...

I go post commenst now :)

Aren't you glad I waited? (post count ++ !!) :lol:

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Wasn't the least bit in vain. At first I was taken aback by the multiple threads, but it all made sense once I looked at it. Nice work.

edit: Assuming the poll stays as it is and the rules are ammended, if someone wants to change his entry would he just edit the original post, or post the edited photo in the same thread (with a link in the original post pointing to the new photo). Also, if he submits a second entry, I assume he would create a new thread for it. Along those lines, if he decides that he no longer likes the first photo, and wants to use a third photo in its place, would he create a new thread for the new photo and somehow close the thread for the original photo (does that even make sense)?

-monkey

Last edited: 12 Jul 2006
  10. Nath

Much appreciated Hwulex, looks a lot neater now! :thumb:

Supermonkey I think it'd be best if people just edit their first post but leave a link (not full image tag etc.) to the entry it replaces so people don't get confused. :D Perhaps an addition of [edited] or something similar at the end of the thread title after the entry has been changed would help people keep track of entries too.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I say yes, but it might be best to just wait towards the end of the submission period to make up your mind regardless (duh).

12. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I think it would be better to post the entries anyways.. that way you get some constructive criticism out of it.
    Though, I should really post mine. I have at least one for tonight.

13. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Thanks guys. :)

@supermonkey: There are two different things here. Firstly, updating an existing entry and secondly, changing an entry all together.

In the first case, I would expect people to update the original post with the updated image. One that perhaps has been altered in PS slightly, or perhaps swapped colour for b&w, or even the same subject shot from a different angle, or a different image from the same set of the same subject.
    I would like people to leave a link to the one it is replacing. If this happens multiple times, we will end up with a little audit trail of how the image has changed and progressed to its final state. Not only interesting, but also helps others to see how things progress and to learn from this process.

Regarding a new entry once they've already posted two, people should start a new thread exactly the same as before then notify a mod as to which one they no longer want considered and it will be moved to a pending area. This has yet to be set up, but I am still in the process of finalising everything. Mods can easily see how many entries a person has in a forum so if they have more than two, we'll leave the two most recent and any older will be shipped out.

I might speak to Rich about forum permissions and allowing people to close their own threads. This will offer a marker to which ones they want removed from the competition.

If the majority think the above is ok (and the poll continues as is) then we'll add it to the rules in due course.

14. Nath

Another idea which might encourage more constructive criticism is to add links to any other photos which you've taken during the month relating to the month's theme under your 'proper' entries. Not in a competitive sense, just out of interest for everyone else and so more feedback can be received.

15. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

I have my favourite ones for the month on FLickr... i may just upload a load of them onto the Bit-tech group there so people can browse that