1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Shucking WD external drives questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fingers66, 18 Apr 2020.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That's really unusual - the 4tb MyBooks typically have white labelled WD Blues in them.

I broke off a couple of winbond chips off the mybook PCBs to support smaller drives - works a treat but you can only use them as basic external drives - you can't use the WD mybook software to schedule backups/encrypt data on them.

2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

some these drives needing the mod would they work fine on a 4 bay synology nas?

3. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

From a mixture of approx fifteen MyCloud, Mybook and Elements drives, ranging from 2TB to 10TB, I've never had to mod anything to get them to work in QNAP/Synology NAS boxes or Windows/Linux PCs. They've all just worked.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Not at all, it's often vastly cheaper.

Same kit, bit different addressable market.
    There's an element of binning as well undoubtedly, and it also allows manufacturers to consume surplus manufacturing capacity more easily.

6. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

That's exactly it ... of course it's all a bit up in the air with the SMR drives that the disk makers seem to want to sell all the time now.

7. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I bought the WD offer for 171 for 12tb, no bare drive cost come close.

1) sure it's pot luck on disks but 8tb and above currently seems safe from wd smr shenanigans.

2) lose the warranty, again given its in an array I'm looking for the cheapest option. Also if shucked right you can reassemble if needed.