Modding Shuttle SN45G modding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Infamous Jum, 14 Aug 2003.

1. Infamous Jum

Infamous Jum What's a Dremel?

I just got my Shuttle in the mail... haven't got all the parts yet, but I can already see a cooling problem. I'd like to add some extra cooling, and I'm thinking of getting a 3.5 bay exhaust but I'm not sure its the best solution. With the fan pointed down it would draw air off of the HD and possible some air from the ram, in theory making the air shooting over the ICE cooler... or causing tornados in my case, killing my beloved robot monkey in the process. I really don't want to have fans sitting on the outside of the case. Any tips?

2. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I have that exact same thing laying around my room somewhere. I dont use it anymore. It doesn't work as good as I hoped it would, plus it looks like crap when you have that thing inside your computer. You see the front of that thing sticking out of the front of your case like this |\
    I would definetely not promote THIS thing...

3. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

Make your own . Take a piece of mesh and a fan. You are set!

4. Infamous Jum

I noticed that protruding in the picture, but I thought it just wasn't assembled right or something. Damn, scrap that idea. I guess I'll just have to wait until I have it all assembled to see what kind of space I have for fans. Curses!

5. FragaGeddon

FragaGeddon What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't mind getting a shuttle just to use as a server for storing files.

6. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

You could always get one of those PCI-bracket exhaust fans and mod it to fit a 3.5" bay?

7. Infamous Jum

I considered that. My main concern is keeping the system cool but still quiet, as its sitting right here on my desk. I don't imagine it would be too tough to get something to work in there, I was just looking for some thoughts on how effective it would be. I guess I'll just have to wait and see when I get it all assembled.

8. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

well number one if you want cooler don't go for amd...
    that was the common sense part.
    next, if your using this as a file server or something of that sort just put a p3 into it.
    They run cooler then the p4's and I don't think you will have much of a problem keeping it quiet.