1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Shuttle window anyone?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by [twig]clown, 27 Jul 2003.

1. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

I am going to be working on a shuttle shortly and am looking into puttin a window (or 3 :D ) in to it. I have seen ouija's but I dont wana go for the square or blocky look, want some nice smooth curves.
    This is mostly directed at ouija or people with shuttles. I would like to know how much clearence there is between things like the PSU and the side, the GPX card and the side, and the ROM drive and the top. I dont want exact measurements, just would I be able to get normal thickness plexi in there, or am I going to have to attack my CD case collection ;) .

Thanks

-cLoWn

2. Shambla

Shambla What's a Dremel?

OK, well on my SB61 the clearance between the PSU and the side pannel is tiny - about a mm or so at most, but to be honest you prolly don't want to see the side of the PSU anyway. Between the GFX card and the side will of course vary depending on the card you have, but with my Sapphire 9700 it's about a mm or so again (maybe a little more). As for the top of the case, it is about 2mm or so, however there will only be about 5cm or so between the CD and the 80mm fan on the back so again it is gonna be a boring view. One last thing to bear in mind is that the vents on each side of the case are about the only place for air to enter the case, so if you plan to put a window where they are, you will prolly need more ventillation elsewhere. Hope that helps.

3. [twig]clown

Thanks a lot for the information. I will have to window where there are gaps then (ie. not behind the PSU etc. these would onyl give boring views anyway). As for the ventillation is that very good? Would it be worth me cutting it out and replacing it with something like moddders mesh, to get better airflow. This is probably more a matter of opinion actually. Thanks again for the info. will have to re-think my plans.

-cLoWn

4. Shambla

Shambla What's a Dremel?

No probs mate - happy to help. I am thinking about some sort of improved ventilation with mesh on mine too, though I think it is fine in the stock state TBH. Let me know if you need any more info.

5. [twig]clown

I should be getting mine in about 2 weeks. But there is 1 more thing. Do you think there is room for a 80mm fan at the front (round about where the HDD cage I think will be). I have looked on lots of review pictures, and the only thing I see that could possibly be a problem are the IDE connectors. (cutting the HDD cage will obviously be in order) But do you think there is generally room??

Thanks again, this is last question. Only wanted to knwo so i know how many fans to order.

-cLoWn

6. Shambla

Shambla What's a Dremel?

Yeah there would be room I guess. Like you said it would involve hacking the HDD cage to bits, but on top of that it would mean moving the buttons and LEDS (the front ports could stay if the fan was above them). It would be a lot of work as far as I can see. Do you intend to cut the front pannel itself, or cut a whole on the bottom of the front bezel so that some air can enter that way? Personally I like the front the way it looks and wouldn't want to alter it, tis just my opinion of course.

7. [twig]clown

I know woudl envolve moving the buttons and LEDs, LEDs i dont mind, reset button i dont want, and power button I could reposition. I have a few disigns for the front, if i do my evil skull design, then there will b a whole cut where the skulls mouth is wide open (around the teeth etc.) and the fan put there. But that design is like :jawdrop: :jawdrop: effort to do, and I dont have the toold to do it atm either :( . I was just seeing if it was possibly fesable, for when I have better skills. I will just stick one on one of the sides then, maybe on top (use of laptop rom drive).

Thanks for all your help, been much appreciated.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

-cLoWn