Case Mod - In Progress Side quest V1 - The Stingray.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vault-Tec, 1 Dec 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

So basically my mate has a 13 year old kid. Lovely kid, very polite and well mannered. He's been wanting a gaming rig for ages but was struggling to save up enough money (due to price increases, and the fact his dad has raised him properly and has tasked the kid with paying 100% of the rig costs). So the kid has been saving, but we realised pretty quickly that the brand new Ryzen 2200g rig he wanted was a little bit much. The main reason is the cost of RAM. Poor sod only really needs 8gb, but he has been priced out over the past few months.

So, we made the executive decision to go used and second hand etc. It all started a couple of weeks back, when MrBungle said he would send me a board. It's nothing super special but it will get us started.

[​IMG]

The main thing is it has RAID. The reason is I have a couple of 500gb drives I want to stripe for him (for access speed and 1tb to store his games on).

SASpro has donated a I5 2400, which is pretty good. The aim here is to VSR to 1440p to take the load off the CPU. We got him a RX 580 Pulse 4gb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He got his case on BF.

[​IMG]

In black, it looks like this inside..

[​IMG]

Now the reason I wanted that case was two fold. 1. he had to like it, but 2. he is (and he doesn't know) getting a full custom water loop.

For fans I have four of these from the Triad.

[​IMG]

Now for the stuff he doesn't know about. Firstly I ordered him a res.

[​IMG]

I already have two pumps (will be using one, they're fantastic, ceramic bearing)

[​IMG]

I have one braided in black with a 7v molex adapter on. I will be using chrome 19mm Chainguns from Monsoon.

[​IMG]

With white Mayhem hose.

[​IMG]

And clear coolant. I also have a ton of fat rotary fittings and etc. I am going to use a joiner to connect the res to the pump. This is the rad he is getting...

[​IMG]

The block will be a EK Supermacy.

[​IMG]

The reason I chose that rad (out of loads I have) is that it can hold 5 bar. No typo, 5 bar of pressure (not 0.5) which is important given he won't know his arse from his elbow. I need it to be AIO or safer..

For plugs I have a couple of white Bitspower premium plugs.

This is the pump in action here.

Good they are !

OK, so he also bought a 120gb SSD

[​IMG]

For the OS. I am going to make him a pump cover from 3mm matt black acrylic (you won't see it). We got him this PSU

[​IMG]

And for custom touches (the mods).

Firstly for the PSU shroud.

[​IMG]

Out of blue candy metallic.

[​IMG]

And then a case badge made from metal.

[​IMG]

Just to give it a custom touch without spending too much or it being OTT. We live down by the ocean, so I thought he would appreciate that. If not I will take it off haha.

HERMAN59000 likes this.
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:thumb: Get him gaming so he can be properly rude and foul-mouthed like the rest of us.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Haha yeah he's going straight into the zombie squad. He's around bad language quite a lot (he rides bmx with us and we swear like sailors) but thankfully he's not picked up our bad habits. Like hollering the C word when falling on your arse :D

4. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I love an executive decision ! Specially one that's benefits other :) :clap:

Everyone's doin 2nd/3rd projects, Damm it i'm ganna start a side project today as well.:grin:

Any case mod with that sexy looking Stingray badge will be cool :rock:

5. Vault-Tec

It's off a C7 Corvette apparently. Yeah it's kinda cool, will leave that up to him (have ordered it).

This will take priority over my rig, as it's a bolt together build (with 20 mins of cutting decals and a day's mods at best). Having said that I will be sorting my GPU block out first. But that's only because I don't have all his parts. His board arrives Tues, all I need to do is get the res in and then I can put the entire loop in. Well, once the back plate I ordered arrives. Then I need to fashion some mounts out of bolts and springs etc. I have a kit left over from one of my AC blocks that should do the trick :)

The only custom part I won't have (and will have to make) is a pump cover. Just something flat in the middle, then 45' bend to sorta wrap over it to cover it. Tis a good pump. Bearings are ceramic etc (I stripped one down when I got it). Nice and quiet too at 7v :)

Defyant Mods likes this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Minor update.

I finally have all of the parts after a cluster mess of mistakes (I thought the postman had been and went out, then the next time I went to bed lol) so it took an age for it to all arrive. I want to say a MASSIVE thanks to MrBungle for sending me the board, and SASPro for the CPU. The kid will be so thrilled when he sees the pics I sent him. So I put it together briefly to make sure it was all OK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yay. It works. I noticed you can also manipulate the turbo clock, so I am hopeful this CPU has the 4 bins in that other I7 and I5 Sandy and Ivy had (limited overclocking, basically, limited to X4). I also cut the graphics for the PSU cover (chrome stroked then blue). Not sure how they look yet because they are under a mask, but the blue is gorgeous. Same candy metallic I have used before :) The res has arrived at my mother's, so I will collect that at the weekend.

7. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Seriously man,you have the coolest shoes:rock:

8. Vault-Tec

I don't go out much. I am agoraphobic, so my shoes have been piling up. I only buy one new pair a year, like I had when I was a kid, but they don't get worn out. I've bought them all on sale from their respective "outlets" online (Like Adidas direct or Nike) for at least 50% off.

Every time I go see my psychiatrist he says "I like your new shoes" and I have to remind him they are like 4 years old lol. I got out this summer more than I have in a decade. Good old autism :D

I've now got the kid's reservoir. It's really nice for the money ! hoping to get the case soon.