1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics simple A/D conversion?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by OtakuHawk, 17 Jun 2006.

1. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

I'm looking for a dirt simple 12-bit Analog-to-digital conversion solution.

I'm ordering some LM35 temperature sensors, and I want to be able to display the temperature on some nixie display tubes I bought earlier.

I've got space for 3 tubes on the 5.25 drive space (got some switches I'm cramming in there too)

so I need 12 bit resolution, parallel output.

the LM35s put out 10 millivolts per degree C, so the range of voltage needs to be 0-5.

I've seen the PIC microcontrollers have build in A/D and a few PWM channels, but does anyone know anything simpler?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You could try using dividers, so when it hits a different level you get a different digital output.

3. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

You mean have a stack of resistors, and set them up in a massive potential divider circuit? It works thats for sure, i've built one. otakul, why not feed the analogue outputs into an op-amp setup as a summing amplifier? That would give the a/d conversion and probably feed you with enough power to soruce a nixie tube.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

hey, the man said simple, don't get much more simple then a stack of resistors ;)

5. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

simple or cheap? I would see if you could get ahold of parallel output DAC, should make things pretty easy to do if you can find one. check out maxim or ti to see if they have any.

6. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

You'll need a handful of logic to drive the Nixie drivers to display the temperature anyway, so it's probably worth just using a microcontroller.

7. agent420

agent420 What's a Dremel?

That's what I was thinking as well. And if you go that route, it's probably less complicated to use a 2 wire interface sensor like the LM92 or similar than it would be to go through an AD conversion process. It would also relax any precision analog supply and design requirements you might run into contending with the management and processing of such a small signal in a noisey environment, not to mention eliminating a dozen or more interconnections and board traces.

So I guess my definition of 'simple' is to skip it all together :D

Last edited: 19 Jun 2006