1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Simple question about header dimensions

Discussion in 'Modding' started by justblair, 15 Aug 2006.

1. justblair

justblair General tinkerer

Hi there.

I guess this might be a daft one, but I cant find the answer.

I want to attach a pcb to my SMB bus. Simple eh?

Trouble is I am totally confused as to what pitch the pins are. I know its in either 2mm, 2.54mm, 2.5mm or 0.1' (WHich is 2.54mm I think)

I can order 5pin molex connectors from farnell, but which dimensions do I go for.

If anyone can give me a catalogue code as well, they will earn worship from me!

Thanks in advance

Blair

2. mandy_modded

mandy_modded Minimodder

you can get a better estimation of the pin spacing by measuring a group.

the pitch is usualy from the pin centres, for a 2.54mm spacing 10 pins will measure 1 inch (25.4mm) 0.1" is indeed 2.54mm.

the more pins you measure the smaller the error due to your eyes not being able to read a small fraction on the measuring device :)

hope this helps

3. justblair

Thanks for that, sometimes the obvious solutions are the best. However I am measuring over 5 pins. I tried it last night by pushing a piece of thin paper onto the pins and then measuring the spacing. It still was very difficult to measure the distance. (Though I was trying to measure one....doh!) I will try again when I get home. If anyone else knows the answer in the meanwhile....

And a farnell catalogue number for connector and matching crimp pins earns the responder the status of minor deity!

Thanks again.

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Try a 3-pin fan connector for size, they're 0.1" IIRC. A photo of the header (or even a link to the board) may help, my google skills fail on any SMBus connector standard (apart from these.).

5. justblair

Spot on..0.1 it is...

As always an obvious suggestion, but not one I had thought of! :duh: The 3 pin plug does indeed fit perfectly.

And yep, My googling skills failed on this one as well. I'm going to hazard a guess that the smb protocols dont stretch as far as specifying the headers.

To Cpemma and Mandy_modded, my knees are hurting with the worship I'm sending your way right now. Thanks awfully.

Let this be a lesson in how what might seem obvious to one can be missed entirely by even a hyper intelligent being like myself! ;)

The board is an Abit NF7 for the record.

Now all I have to do is find a set of contact pins and a 5 way enclosure that are available from farnel, and match up... This is a harder task than it sounds. :eeek:

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The "fan connector" style is available with various numbers of pin holes (inc 5), keyed to fit only 1 way if the other half is the same style. Fairly common, http://www.futurlec.com/ConnPolHead.shtml one source, Rapid and Maplin do them. (Farnell UK have a nasty £25 minimum order :().

7. justblair

Ye. I have been encumbered by farnells min order before. However this time I have a shopping list long enough to make them the obvious choice. Maplin can be ok, but I find them limited in thier range for some items. Rapid I haven't used before. I'll take a look.

Thanks again for your prompt and intelligent assistance.

Blair