Hi everyone. I've been working on this mac pro barely after completing the case mod on the G5. this time round, i'm going to use a different approach to making it matx ready as compared to many case mods on the mac pro. This case mod was more of a test of working around limitations, roadblocks at every almost stage, finding cheap and simple solutions and the lack of proper workshop tools/equipment rather than a technical challenge. I got this case, a 2006 version, quite cheaply frm a friend of mine and it was in mint condition. it even had the protective plastic wraps on exterior surfaces. Shipping it from the US would be at least 1-2 times the cost of the case. Firstly, we all know the mac pro case's standoffs are completely different from atx ones. So, most modders either rip out the existing standoffs, then screw onto a matx motherboard then using epoxy to glue the standoffs in the proper position. However, I am not keen on the idea of epoxy. I don't really like the idea of having the motherboard, cpu, ram etc and its motherboard tray resting on 9 epoxy blobs. It's just me.. Anyway, the project stalled while I tried to come up with a solution to use an adapter plate of sorts to "reconcile" the matx mounting holes and the mac pro's. google-d for any electronic drawings of the mounting holes came up empty, didn't have access to precision measuring tools for the mac pro mounting holes, most rulers would give too big of an error margin, so I went primitive. I decided to cut thick acrylic blocks to stack on top and over the mac pro standoffs, like ring on a finger. My overall plan was this: First, make a negative impression of the mac pro standoffs using an acrylic panel and blocks, then drill the same holes through a carbon fibre panel. the CF panel will act as the actual adapter panel. secondly, matx mounting holes are then drilled onto the same CF panel and the custom standoffs mounted on it. 4mm holes to screw the adapter plate to the mac pro standoffs (drilled and re-tapped to 4mm) drill 5.4mm holes to fit the custom made standoffs to mount the matx board. The grey area is just a rough idea of where the matx board will sit. Why custom standoffs standard standoffs used in most casings are too tall so when expansion cards like gfx cards etc are mounted on it, the pci bracket will be too high to be screwed in. At the same time, the existing mac pro standoffs had to partially sawed off. Using 1 of the acrylic blocks and a handsaw to be accurate. Making the adapter plate-determining the mac pro's standoffs positions Acrylic blocks placed over the standoffs, where the total height of the blocks is greater than the standoffs. Subsequently, a 3mm thick acrylic board is placed over the acrylic blocks and either epoxy or acrylic glue(chloroform) is used to stick the blocks to the acrylic sheet and I ended up with this The centre hole at each acrylic blocks is a negative impression of the mac pro's standoffs. a carbon fibre panel of just 1mm thickness was placed behind the same acrylic board Since the mac pro standoffs are 5mm in diameter, I have to somehow drill a 4mm hole dead centre. For this I asked a friend to help out but accidents do happen and many of the 4mm holes on the carbon fibre panel were slightly out of alignment, enough to block the screws from going in. Test fit of the drilled carbon fibre panel Failed! As you can see, the screw holes do not line up perfectly with the drilled holes. I managed to slowly grind away the tiny portions that overlapped the standoffs but I decided I wanted to try again with no mistakes. Logic board and 2nd chance with a fresh cf panel This time round, I got a spoilt mac pro 2006 logic board cheaply off ebay and bought a new CF panel which cost me more this time round as the previous seller didnt make cf panels anymore/ What I did was, I placed the 2006 logic board ON the cf panel and cut exactly to size then drilled the required mounting holes. The only tricky part is the 8 holes surrounding the 2 cpu sockets which are 10mm in diameter. The remaining mounting holes on the logic board were 4mm in diameter. I didn't take any chances and make small acrylic rings, 10mm wide external diameter and 4mm internal diameter. it acts like a drill centering guide.