1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SiN episodes already cancelled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 20 Dec 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. quack

quack Minimodder

Damn! :(

3. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i did think the other week its been a long time between number 1 coming out. it only works for valve because of the size of the half life franchise.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

WHAT...THE...****!?

I paid into the franchise to start on these "9 Episodes" and now they shitcan it after one? That's total ********. Anybody up for petitioning for a refund on Ep 1?

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

DANG!, i actually liked that!

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

i only payed about £9 for it quite recently for about 5 hours, so not terrible value better than some worse than others. The point i'm going to make and i'm sure others will also is i wouldn't have bought it were it not for the promise of more! Suppose thats bindi vindicated, can't remember the post but he was saying that he wouldn't buy episodic games for this very reason (words to that effect), whilst i disagreed at the time i think i may have changed my mind. Still like most i'll still be buying hl2 ep2 and lets just hope valve doesn't go belly up!

8. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

The idea I guess is: Pay xxx$ for the chance that they will be able to use that money and finish the rest of the game (episodes)

Or not play the game at all.

Remember, if Sin wasn't episodic, then these same problems would have meant the cancellation of the full game, and we would have seen nothing.

The episodic model is *only* interesting if it helps get games made that otherwise wouldn't.

Obviously it still couldn't help ritual.

Aggies

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh surprise, surprise. Time to collect on everyone who though Valve would pull through.

Next for the chop: Half life episodes.

Good job I didn't invest in it then.

10. Morpheon

Morpheon What's a Dremel?

They could have at least sold the franchise for few dollars!!! Damn instead of just leaving us all hanging.

to hell with episodic content.....half-life ep 2 is taking sooo long that I would rather them just put more effort to HL3 than drag out this HL2.1

Great idea, poorly managed all around.

11. steveo_mcg

Its not really valve though is it. Its ritual who have given up. And hopefully hl episodes will survive long enough to set up hl3

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes, but Valve also pimped it as Episodic content in line with their HL2 series and it's also only available on Steam.

13. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I believe back when we first covered episodic content, both bindi and I said "no thanks" for this very reason - either give me a game or don't, but I'm not paying for part of one.

Unfortunately, this was all-too-well written on the wall. Figure that by the time this completed, if it was $20 per ep, that's $180 on one game that I had to wait forever to get to the conclusion of. Nah, I'll buy my full game, thanks. :)

Just wait until EA really gets their heads around how to exploit episodic content...now that they see you can make money and then collapse a project before it goes into the red...

14. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

This is exactly why I was planning to wait for most/all of the episodes to be released before I played any of them. Oh well, stuff happens to otherwise good games. Beyond Good and Evil for instance was supposed to be a three game series, just like Prince of Persia, but it died after 1 game. Really good game and you wouldn't know there was going to be a continuation of the story unless you watched the end credits all of the way to the finish.

15. AtomicBanana

AtomicBanana What's a Dremel?

No, it's also on the shelves as well: http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore...2778&title=sin_episode_1_-_emergence_(dvd_rom)

Valve had little to do with Sin episodes, and I fail to see how this will have any bearing on the half life episodes. This could have happened to ritual regardless of how they chose to present thier game.

16. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I disagree with what most of you are saying. If the game is good enough, who cares its still a great play, regardless of the unfinished storyline. Half Life 2 has had me dying for more since 2004 and I would not be totally destroyed if it was canceled after episode 2. I would be mad though. Very mad. Thing is if you don't support the developers now by buying their episodes they won't have enough money to finish the series. So I say buy them, they're great regardless.

17. Narvi

Narvi What's a Dremel?

Seriously, the game sucked. I can't really care very much.

18. steveo_mcg

I quite enjoyed it, not terribly different from most fps but nor are most fps. The little play arena actually seen more time than the episode, so in that the respect the game has been worth while

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Fairy nuff. But still, this is oh-so-a-typical of what I imagined Episodic content to be: a nickel and diming effort that means they can give up whenever they feel like and still make some cash.

20. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Tags: Add Tags