1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Site advice - discoveryownersclub.org

Discussion in 'Software' started by seanblee, 27 Jan 2005.

1. seanblee

seanblee What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I have the sometimes fun, sometimes painful task of running the website of the Land Rover Discovery Owners Club over at http://www.discoveryownersclub.org/.

The current site as it stands is an HTML4.01/CSS2 site with the main layout done using tables. At some stage in the future I'm going to move over to XHTML1.0 and use DIVs with proper CSS to do the layout; however, this can't really happen until both Gallery and phpBB sort their code out.

I'm hoping to get a few opinions on the design and layout of the site as it stands with a view to giving it a bit of a makeover in the next few months; the current site layout isn't 'bad' as such IMO, but I don't think it really stands out. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. Pballer98c

Pballer98c Minimodder

I LIKE IT!
    pros: easy to navigate, well put together, right ammount of graphics
    cons: blue just doesnt seem to go with an off roading kind of site :)

hope that helps some!

3. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Nice though some of the text I feel should float a little better around the photos.

4. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

Its easy to navigate and to read, so great.
    The menu - header bar looks good, but i think some work could be done on the menus to make them tie in with the bar a little better.
    If they are what they look like which is menus from a cms (phpnuke?) then its usually quite easy to put a background image in the cells.

5. laoda

laoda What's a Dremel?

I think it looks OK, but there are some problems when resizing the browser window. I aslo agree that the text should wrap around the picture.

6. seanblee

seanblee What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I think I've sorted the image wrapping and the browser resize issues.

ErisDS, I'm not actually using any prebuilt CMS, I'm running phpBB with some hand-made integration code for the rest of the site, which includes stealing some of their images for the sidebar! The whole site was coded in Notepad in fact, great fun :worried: What do you think I ought to change about the sidebar boxouts?

7. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

seanblee
    i wasnt suggesting you were using a cms, just parts of it as you said :thumb:

In my opinion the menus would look better if there was some kind of shadow effect on the edges (ie the background image) to make them look 3d, like they are sunken into the menubar, shading on any side would make it look more integrated, you could also change the colour slightly to match the menu bar better.