SketchUp Sketchup Help :D Simple! *SORTED*

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Samuel235, 20 Jun 2010.

1. Samuel235

Samuel235 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys :) - I'm trying to design myself a little name plate on the right of my case, i need to create a 3d Cube (i know how to do that) and then put the text onto the surface so i can then delete the insides of the text so i get the outlines on the surface of the cube.

[​IMG]
    Image shows the outcome im looking for but without the insides of the text and the obvious fact of having the face of the panel on behind it.

Cheers guys :D

Last edited: 20 Jun 2010
  2. asura

asura jack of all trades

Ok, I think I know what you're after, if not you may have to explain more carefuly.

1. Assuming your text is of the same orientation as the plane you're working at, draw a rectangle, corner to corner, across the planned plane. This should give you your writing superimposed on top of a face, but not related to it.

2. Select all of the lines/polygons/curves, that make up one letter and select the face you created in step 1, right click (has to be on a piece you have selected, lucky the face is quite large, so that's easy) in the menu which pops-up select intersect - intersect selected. This should associate the face with the lines, the lines should go from being thick, heavy looking to proper thin lines, and the face should now be two faces, one inside the letter, and one outside the letter. Delete the face inside the letter.

3. Repeat for each letter.

4. You're done, beer o'clock.

You can try doing all the letters at once, but I find that Sketchup can play dumb if you try and intersect to many object, or if your intersections are creating too many faces, and it doesn't do it right, and you have to go and do it all over, but feel free to try that first, it may just save some time...

3. Samuel235

Samuel235 What's a Dremel?

Cheers mate :D Sorted it out perfectly! Going to posting some images of my design up soon :)