Multi Skull and Bones

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Weekly_Estimate, 18 Mar 2018.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Crikey, that's me done then, chaps! Six hours goes quick when you spend most of it sailing between locations and trying to work out the mechanics. Once I had the ramming boat, sea combat became quite a bit easier though.

Things I liked:
    - finding a new tribe's camp, walking around it and picking up their stuff and then selling it back to them via their own trader :hehe:
    - being able to calmly pocket about 48 cannonballs on the same trip (some suspension of disbelief clearly required)
    - being told I was not allowed to use Long D0ng Silver as my ship name because a "profanity was detected", at the same time as my subtitles displayed the in-game line "'Ow did he manage to sink 'is fkg ship like that?" (abbreviation mine, of course). Could not get that screenshot in time...:grin:
    - boat wars and the surprising level of sailing tactics you can employ, rather than just constantly circling (which does also happen now and again)
    - scenery and weather effects (at sea)

Things I wasn't keen on:
    - more collecty missions to make basic items (harvest wood to make pickaxe, boat etc.). Been done everywhere else and bored of that now
    - lack of land-based exploration/combat
    - could do with explaining some of the mechanics/icons a bit more in-depth, but then it is a beta test
    - not being able to aim my spear high enough to hit birds

Good fun though. Kept me engaged for the morning - time to get on with some chores now!

Goatee likes this.
  2. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Yeah was enjoyable (thanks for sorting me out the key) but totally agree that the collection missions felt forced.

ModSquid and Flibblebot like this.
  3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

No worries, bud - any time.
    :thumb:

If it hits Game Pass I'll definitely hoist the main sail again, we can all get some sea-based gang fights on the go. Just hope it keeps progress as I really don't need any more trees...

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Enjoyed the first beta but underwhelmed with the 2nd - it felt like minimal progress made despite another 6 months development. It also feels very much like generic Ubi fetch-and-collect bones underneath some interesting mechanics.

Dunno if I'll actually bother picking it up.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well 3rd beta came and went, felt much like the other two, but I must admit having played the full game now I think it's worth a go.

There's lots of bugs and niggles, but I'm sure they'll sort them at some point, the sailing mechanics are nicely honed, and the variety of quests are decent enough (although fundamentally it's a fetch and carry-oriented game). Worth £15 on the Ubi+ pass and a few evenings play I reckon

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Apparently, this currently comes free if you splash out on a Tobii Eye Tracker 5.

8. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

:hehe: "Like a hen do on deck" - brilliant!

SuperHans123 likes this.