1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Sleeving shrinkless... advice plz

Discussion in 'Modding' started by IceTouch, 30 Mar 2016.

1. IceTouch

IceTouch What's a Dremel?

Hey folks,

just wonder if anyone have a good tip to avoid burning fingers when you sleeve shrinkless?
    I just received my mats to start crimping and sleeving but after some tests at it, my fingers are in fire!! :waah:

I suppose i can go for some working gloves, but before if anyone have an other advice...

Thanks in advance!

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Are you sleeving using paracord or PET/MDPC-X/Telios?

You could try using leather gloves with paracord but you might find you lose precision in shaping the end. If you're using PET sleeve with sacrificial heatshrink then you may find that the heatshrink residue makes the glove tips too messy to use. One tip for the sacrificial heatshrink method is to use white rather than black heatshrink as there's less chance of it marking the lighter coloured sleeve. Admittedly white heatshrink that's good enough to use for that method is hard to find now.

It used to take me a couple of weeks to build up callouses when I'd been away from it for a while.

I have seen someone use a heatgun to heatup the heatshrink and underlying PET sleeve to melting point but the problem with that is that it weakens the crimp as it also melts the insulation on the wire.

3. IceTouch

IceTouch What's a Dremel?

thanks for info, i'm using paracord... i will try to find good working gloves this week then