1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SLI 8800GT Performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Noori88, 6 Sep 2008.

1. Noori88

Noori88 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,
    I've got a setup atm consisting of:

Tagan BZ 1300W power supply,
    eVGA 750i Cheesecake Mainboard,
    e8500 cpu @ 3.3 GHz,
    2x XFX 512mb 8800GT in SLI
    Corsair TwinX XMS2 ram @ 800MHz 5 5 5 18

I've been playing Crysis and Company of heroes and wasnt impressed by the performance of the cards, so i decided to run some benchmarks with and without SLI. I got the following:

3dMark06 - With: 15226
    Without: 11698

Company Of Heroes performance test, 1680x1050, AA 16x, All setts highest:

With: Av: 34.6fps
    Max: 61.9fps
    Min: 6.4fps

Without: Av: 31.3fps
    Max: 60fps
    Min: 19.9fps

FEAR performance test, 1280x1024

With: Av: 243fps
    Max: 711fps
    Min: 120fps

Without: Av: 139fps
    Max: 374fps
    Min: 66fps

And in crysis, I get the same frame rates with SLI at best, but usually it is worse, and the game is unplayable with SLI on with setts above high, and with setts on high it is annoying to play, so i set them to medium. Without SLI i can happily play with high setts.

Obviously the 3dmark score is way higher, and sli performed well in FEAR, but in company of heroes the minimum frame rate was much lower with SLI and no improvements.... Can anyone give some advice on how to tweek it so its better? Anyone else got a similar setup, whats your frame rates like in CoH and Crysis?

2. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

In short, SLI is "a bitch".

It's effectiveness is very much dependant on how much the game's programmers have optimised the game for SLI. There's a lot more to it than that, but I don't have time to explain. Custom PC magazine did a big feature on it a couple of months ago, try their website.

3. Noori88

Noori88 What's a Dremel?

Yeah i'm a bit dissapointed really, however call of duty 4 works very well, im getting 90 FPS solid throughout multiplayer, never dropping below, with the 'dual graphics card' option in game turned on. I'll try that with SLI turned off later and see what I get. I was hoping company of heroes would work better though, as its supposedly made for nVidia and came with my graphics cards, which have SLI advertised all over them.

Hopefully in the future all games will have dual graphics cards features...otherwise I may aswell just sell one of my cards.

Does anyone know any good settings to run for company of heroes using SLI? I can't seem to add the COH executable to the profiles options in 3D settings either for some reason, i click Add, find the CoHrelic.exe, open, and it doesnt add it to the list...

Just tried cod4 without sli and it runs at about 60-80fps, where SLI is a very steady 91 (seems like it might be locked), so that is a pretty good improvement

Last edited: 6 Sep 2008
  4. yanglu

yanglu Hmm...

Crysis is awful at scaling on multi GPU systems. It just is and theres not much you can do about it. Do you have the newest patches for Crysis. The patches improved SLI and Crossfire performance a bit. I've used two HD 3850's in Crossfire for Crysis and they scaled slightly better than I expected, (which wasn't much!) I got about 1.5x more fps.

5. Noori88

Noori88 What's a Dremel?

Yeah Crysis is the worst so far, outperformed a lot by using a single card. I probably don't have the latest version though, i'll have a look for some patches.

To get CoH working better I just turned off Direct X 10 in the settings, now it runs very smoothly and I don't notice any difference in detail. But I think a single card would perform the same still..

6. Noori88

Noori88 What's a Dremel?

Got the 1.2 crysis patch and its still bad. Not happy!

7. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

From an awesome and playable 60fps to an awesome and playable 91fps? :lol: You seem to be expecting some magical double performance with a second card, it just doesn't work like that. SLI to push your minimum or average fps above 25/30 is good, pushing anything high than 60 though (what fps does your monitor display?) probably will not be noticeable.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

should have been happy with a FPS above 30 tbh, or are you a pigeon.

9. Noori88

Noori88 What's a Dremel?

Yeah of course im happy with 60fps, but the extra with sli on shows that its working at least.

10. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Maybe knock down AA setting to 2x or 4x, and AF to 8x, you need to raise that min fps in COH so you will have to compromise and reduce some settings :X

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well it should work like that!

i pay 2x the original price, i want my 2x the performance!

i've said many times: until they do shared memory (like dual/quad CPUs) and one control hub (like Intel Skulltrail) multi-GPU is NEVER worth the money or time, it'd always be heavily relay on software optimisation.

however, the "Hydra" chip is a right step in the central hub direction. all we need now is for ATI and nVidia to start designing for a shared memory solution based on the central hub design.
    but we all know that'll never happen, as design cost will be about same as a GPU, yet only 1 or 2 product line to be benifited.

12. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

/com_maxfps 250

Cod4 seems to utilize SLI very nicely.