1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Smartphone Choices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalanx, 3 Feb 2011.

1. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

Cheers, I also multitask, the iphone 4 seems to handle that ok, even though I kill processes regularly.

2. blueviper11

blueviper11 What's a Dremel?

htc desire z

3. Shichibukai

Shichibukai Resident Nitpicker

I got a Desire HD on tmoblie 600mins, 500 Texts and unlimited minutes, its totally unbranded so no Junk :)

Then if you've got the time to mess around, you can Root it, install a custom rom, overclock or down clock it to save battery life and the list of things to do just goes on...

4. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

On this,

Can anyone comment on the data usage on the new Windows Phones?

Since contracts are normally providing an allowance of 500MB I was wondering if people find they coast over that?

My friend has a Windows phone and it looks swish, but am tied in for another year and a half on the iPhone 4 :(

5. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

I'm using less than 50MB a month with 2 exchange accounts set to sync as items arrive , various apps with push notifications and some light browsing. The only thing to watch at the moment is Yahoo Mail IMAP which can cause excessive usage.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2011
  6. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Honestly I dunno but I will offer the advice you are pretty much taking already: Research, and think about it hard, wait a few months if needed. I wish I did.

I got shafted back in Dec 09 when I got a contract with an N97.... I know I know... but I loved my N95 and could not imagine they would f*** it so badly. Even it's rather nice 30gig storage is gimped by what feels like a USB 1.1 transfer speed.

Even if they release something truly awesome, out of principle I will never buy another Nokia again because of there terrible implementation and support of the N97. I have no problem spending £400 on a phone that does what it's advertised to do...

On the plus side I'll really, really appreciate whatever smart phone I get come Dec this year.

7. Risky

Risky Modder

Well I'm also looking for a new Smartphone and I'm a bit stuck at the moment.

I bough a Touch TD in Jan 2009 and pretty much hated it after having a keyboard with the Vario II it replaced. Eventually it became too unreliable (possibly partly due to ill-treatment) and I attempted flashing various ROMs, none of which helped relaibility so in despair a bough a San Franciso.

The SF is okay, though I would prefer a bigger screen and more power. Android does seem a long way ahead of the WM6.5 as a phone OS, though I miss the simple outlook sync and some of the rest of the windows integration such as MyPhone.

My contract is up this month and I was looking at getting something with a keyboard. However I'm not sure about the Desire-z as the processor is slower than some and the Milestone 2 is a risk as Motorola don't have a good record with updates. I'm thinking I switch to a cheaper sim and wait it out a bit for something really good to come on.

8. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

I got one back in October and haven't been disappointed with it at all for the price.

Have you tried 'Tank Hero'? Fun game, looks great and runs like butter on my Modaco 2.1 rom.

9. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Anyone have any opinion on the Palm Pre 2? Or webOS in general? I like the style..

10. happysack

happysack goodateverthinger

iPhone

Or if you really don't want a iPhone get a hd7

11. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Thing is, whichever way you slice it, this always has to be in there. iTunes is awful, and there are other cons, but the phone itself is a superb device and still has the best UI.

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

It all depends on needs of a user.
    • iPhone - many apps, but you are very limited if you don't fit in the line. Want widgets on homescreen ? Want something else than a grid of apps ? Don't like iTunes ? Bad luck, iPhone is not for you.
    • Android - many choices, but some brands should be left to die (SE with their release 2.1 when everyone already released 2.2 and never release 2.2 for our current devices; Motorola with their "we don't care about our non-US customers" attitude), also you could have some performance issues with some apps on lower end phones. On other side you can customize it to death, want a iPhone-like UI ? No problem. 9 screens full of widgets ? No problem.
    • Symbian - let's not talk negatives about dead, right ? This video sums up all what is wrong with Nokia these days :)
    • Windows Mobile 6.5 - another dead horse, only crazy people will buy this now.
    • Windows Phone 7 - in my opinion born dead, maybe they will get it in shape next year, but for now, avoid. Not many apps, the system is way too limited...
    • The rest (Maemo, WebOS) - too obscure for now.

My personal vote goes for HTC Android phones, because they will get best support from HTC, and when that ends, you will still have awesome community support from XDA.

13. carpetmonster

How old is that Nokia vid ?

14. faugusztin

February 4, 2011. 4 days.

15. chittes

chittes What's a Dremel?

Web OS 2.0 has some nice features... there's a review of the Pre 2 here which points some of them out. Although the reviewer also notes the hardware design isn't great....

And exactly where Palm is going next, even with the backing of HP, isn't looking great... last quarter I think WebOS had a 2% smartphone market share in the US.

As others have said, iPhone is a good option, despite Apple's walled garden. Or of course maybe a dual-core Android, if you can wait, like the Optimus 2X or similar.

And if taking the Apple route, the iPhone 5 is probably worth waiting for, now, anyway....

16. carpetmonster

Those guys have lost the plot, that is something which would have gone down well in the Nokia 6600 era.

17. faugusztin

<sarcasm>But at least we can download pupples at nokia petalaps.</sarcasm>

On serious note, Nokia really lost it. Symbian is a dead horse for a long time, it really has nothing to offer. And maemo is result a "we don't want Android in Nokia phones" mentality. While technically nice, in reality it is too late and offers nothing which could attract users in exchange. Maemo is also destroyed by Nokia itself, with Symbian, as only the highend stuff will get Maemo.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2011
  18. infekted.one

infekted.one What's a Dremel?

I love my htc desire, andriod 2.2 rocks but i am tempted by the new htc window7 offering

19. carpetmonster

Have Sony sacked off Symbian for good ? I had a P800 at the time it was very good. Better than the Nokia version of Symbian, although the 6600, 7610 were good, but compromised, no stereo heaphones output etc.

20. faugusztin

Not entirely, but they are pretty much leaving that area. Sony Ericsson Vivaz & Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro are their latest Symbian phones.