1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Smoothwall, Pipex and ASUS 6000EV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreatOldOne, 9 Apr 2002.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Well, I'm now on the fat pipe....:D

But I can't seem to get onto it via smoothwall :sigh:

I have both the red and green NIC's configured, and on the same subnet(The Router as well)

Both NIC's can be ping'd, but the router can't, when connected to the smoothwall

The router has all of PIPEX's DNS info correct, and I can connect when the router is plugged direct into my hub.

I have read all of the smoothie doc's (FAQ, Network, Setup & Installation), and don't seem to be getting anywhere fast - which I thought was the point with ADSL ;)

Help!

Cheers in advance,

GOO

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Can you ping the router from the smoothwall box?
    Is the smoothwall or the router acting as the dhcp?
    Try posting at alt.os.linux.smoothwall there are ppl who know there stuff there unlike me who tends to fudge my way through to the solution.

3. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Sorted!

Well, after much buggering about, I've got it working!

It seems that you shouldn't have IP addresses in the same range on both sides of the wall.

I had my green NIC set to X.X.X.4, the red NIC on X.X.X.5 and the router on X.X.X.6, all with the same subnet mask.

By changing the red NIC to X.X.Y.5 and the router to X.X.Y.6, it suddenly came to life.

Ahh... Networking. Art or Science? neither - It's dark, demonic magic:p

Now for some senseless bandwidth wasting!:dude:

Tags: