1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics SMT Strip Board

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xiachunyi, 16 Apr 2006.

1. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Hello, are there any sources that stock large SMT Strip Boards for prototyping?

The pitch on the SMT board need to be of SOIC package layout - just lines of tinned/copper running up and down the board.

Thank you.

2. ChriX

ChriX ^

3. Macaba

Macaba What's a Dremel?

I made my own SMT stripboard.

Unfortunately, the concept of it isn't too good, because the components are a fixed size. So you can't jump over tracks.

So the next, more useful thing is breakout boards as shown in the previous post that can be used in conventional breadboards/stripboards/pcb's.

4. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

The way i do it is to make a converter, basicly use wire & Solder & Glue Gun to make my SMT stuff atach to a small piece of varoboard, with pins on the under side. an alternative is making an adapter using a spair DIL socket or two.

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

You mean bigger than this?

6. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the quick replies.

What I am planning to do is construct a synchronized digital clock from JK / T Flip Flops in a small space. The reason I need to utilize SMT packages is because DIPs are too big for the box I am planning to fit them in.

For routing, I plan to cut the lines like a normal strip board and drill small holes for wires to attach to the line and go through the underside. From there, the wires would be routed underneath the actual SMD components and then go through another hole to the topside to arrive on the side of a component.

This way, I could add a ground plane to reduce parasitics and/or add another "layer" to reduce space even more so.

The reason I need a strip board and not just design my own is because of flexibility issues. I may need to change the layout or something of that nature.

Then again, I suppose I could design my own strip board and have SparkFun's custom PCB service fabricate me one. I wanted to see, nevertheless, if there was an already made commerical product since the cost will be higher if I designed a strip board and sent it in to be fabricated.

Thank you.

7. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

i dont know if it would fit but with DIPs you can solder other componants directly to/between the pins without any PCB, got to be smaller than even an smd board if your circuits not too complex

Moriquendi