1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding So a mouse, Bloo LED, and a bored kid walk into a bar [Pics]

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KevinOwns, 9 May 2002.

1. KevinOwns

KevinOwns What's a Dremel?

Well, I got bored today, and saw an IntelliMouse USB that I really don't use for anything just sitting on the floor. So I decided to peek inside to get a little look at it :) While peering around, I saw that the LED looked pretty damn easy to replace, so I found a blue LED and did the replacement!

The LED isn't too bright, so unlike with the red LED, you can't lift it up a little (not really a problem). Another problem is, this mouse sucks in the first place. The possibility of breaking something is pretty low, it is actually a very easy mod.

Some pics:

Just your average crappy Microsoft mouse?
    [​IMG]

I think not!
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, it is not very bright. The mouse is clearly made to supply only enough voltage to blast the red LED (very bright...), but only barely gives enough for the blue to be functional.

I found that the mouse was very smooth, and worked exactly the same as it did with the red LED! :)
    So, what do you think? :)

2. mr. phantastik

mr. phantastik What's a Dremel?

Its actually smooth? I posted this question about modding my Intellimouse to Blue, and i got the reply that it furks with the camera pickup, making it jumpy.

I wonder if theirs a resistor around the LED. You could try chaning that to alter the brigthenss of the blue? Haven't opened mine up yet so i don't know.

Very nice by the way.

3. KevinOwns

KevinOwns What's a Dremel?

It runs just as smooth as with the red LED (This is considering how crappy it was to begin with...)

I have been having trouble removing the PCB so I can find that resistor. What makes it really difficult is I don't know the difference between a 100ohm and 10,000 ohm, so I can't even look for a resistor like that. And everything good is on the backside of the PCB. If I ever get it out, I could try that :)

4. mr. phantastik

mr. phantastik What's a Dremel?

100 ohm is brown black brown
    10000 is brown black uhhhh....the one after red...uh...orange!

goodluck :]