1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switch So erm... Switch hacked

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Yaka, 24 Apr 2018.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

while its interesting, this will surely affect 3rd party support for it just like it did on the wii.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

yeah and its not even patchable as its a hardware exploit with the tegra chip iirc.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Cool, but that's a lot of effort to turn it into a normal tablet.

Unless pirated Switch games become as easy to obtain and use as they were with the DS/DSlite I don't see it affecting thrd party support much. Nintendo's general apathy towards third party publishers is by far the greatest factor in that.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The Switch is already my "why is there not an half-decent Android device in this form-factor for mobile gaming?!" device (WTF Nvidia, replacing the self-contained Shield Portable with a tablet that cannot be used portably with a controller without also carrying around a table). If there is a reasonable way to 'dual boot' a Switch to keep the Nintendo side updated along with some extra space to turn it into a Shield Portable 2, I'll be extremely happy.

5. slimithy

slimithy Minimodder

That video looked to me like desktop Linux, so even better!

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Give it a couple months, thanks to PubeG and Fartnite mobile versions everyone and their dog is suddenly working on mobile android gaming devices.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

From what I can gather, this allows you to run unsigned/unauthorised code prior to the Nintendo software being loaded. Hopefully it stays this way, but I doubt it'll be long before this enables piracy. It would be extremely handy to be able to access media/video services like YouTube, Netflix, etc, from the Switch - sure there are other dirt cheap 6"/7" tablets out there that can do that, but those can't play Super Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild.

It looks like that's exactly how it works. It doesn't touch the built-in software at all and instead boots from an SD card.