1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs So, I built my new gaming machine last night

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Feb 2009.

1. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

Very tidy rig, loving your cable management skills!

I see you had the same issue I had with the gtx 280 and the P182's upper drive cage ;)

2. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

It was time for my yearly XP re-install last week, and I decided to give Win7 Beta (x64) a go. I had decided to give Vista a miss, but I was curious and thought I could just install XP if I didn't like it.

So far my experience has been positive. I haven't used Vista so I have no basis for that comparison, but I agree with what you and others have said about Win7. Gaming has been smooth, I haven't noticed lower frame rates compared to XP, but I've only been playing DX9 games for the past week.

The only issue I've had is with my AVG anti-virus. Every time I boot I get an Action Centre warning to turn AVG on, I do this, but AVG never turns on. I can live with this for a while until I have time to research a fix.

MAJOR GRIPE ALERT! What the hell has happened to the UP tree button in folders?? I never knew how much I used it until it was gone! Alt-Up is just no substitute for a handy button in the save-file dialogue box.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

can't you just click on the folder name before your current folder name??

i do miss the UP button, but the folder names are good enough once you get used to it.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Backspace?

5. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

You can do both of these if you are browsing folders, but it is missing from the save/load-file dialogue box, where I use it most.
    If you need to access a folder OTHER than the one you just saved to/loaded from, you have to either use Alt-Up or take the long path from the drive root (in my case, my storage D:).
    I can't seem to find any options regarding this, and from looking around other's comments this seems a "feature" new to Vista. As I've never used Vista this was an unpleasant surprise.

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

adnoc- in the save dialog.. it works like the explorer- same way.. in the bar you'll see > Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Temp ... depending on the folder your in

Click on the > right before the current directory to see a listing above or click on Local Disk (C:) for example to go there.. it took some time to adjust for me too when I switched from xp

7. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I am running a system similar to what yours was before upgrades and what you've done is exactly what I am saving up to do with mine. I am def. in the need for a new video card, and I need to up from 2 to 4 gigs of RAM as well.

Quick question: the GTX 260 is a pretty slick card and cheaper then the GTX 280 but performs similarly. Why'd you chose the 280 over the 260?

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

There were a few deals going around on the 280s and I snapped one up when I could - we mentioned the good deals in our January buyer's guide. :)

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

that OCuk £218 deal?? which brand did you get?

10. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

^it was BFGTech

11. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

hi nice rig :) I was wondering how Windows 7 works for you on a day-to-day basis? Can it take the same programs as Vista? I am thinking not just games, but Autodesk Maya, Photoshop, Premiere, Warcraft 3.... :p

I am considering giving this a try now as i will probably buy a upgrade anyway.

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

WC3 - works perfectly fine
    PS - CS4 works perfectly fine

Don't know about Premiere or Maya but Sony Acid 6, Vegas 8 run without any problems although 7 said during the Acid install that the MS SQL Server Desktop Engine is known to have issues with this OS.

13. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

thanks!

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've got Photoshop and Premiere Elements running on my Win7 machine and they work fine. :)

Tags: Add Tags