1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other So, I need a new phone...

Discussion in 'General' started by BloodlessDawn, 19 Mar 2012.

1. BloodlessDawn

BloodlessDawn I know nothing.

Hey guys,

It's perhaps not the best place to be talking about this, aha. But I honestly can't think of a better place to ask this question (everyone here always offers sensible and well thought out advice) so here I am! xD

In short, I need a new phone.

I've basically settled on getting an iPhone 4S. I love them, even if they are expensive.

I've got a few gripes that I'd basically like your opinions on.

1) The next iPhone will come out in /around June.
    Well, okay, it might be in October like the 4S, but most seem to think apple will go back to their old ways. Is it worth me getting a 4S now, then just selling it when the next iPhone comes along to get the next one? Or should I wait...
    2) I want to get it on contract, but I don't want to be locked to that phone for 18-24 months.
    It's my understanding that the service provider won't be too happy with me if I sell my iPhone before my contract has run out... This is understandable really. But what actually is the situation with this? Is the phone mine as soon as I take out the contract? Can I sell it on? etc. etc.
    3) I've calculated that it actually could be worth buying the phone outright. It makes a fair bit of sense really. A 24 month contract at £36 + 99.99 for the phone is £936.99...
    If the phone is £499 usually, and then £20 monthly rolling contract... That leaves it as being a tiny bit more expensive (979) but I get the phone outright, and it leaves me free to do whatever I want regarding networks or buying a new phone...

The third option is potentially more favourable to me. The security of my job isn't guaranteed, so tying myself to a contract could be a major mistake. But buying the phone outright would be a major blow to my wallet. (I guess I'd stick it on a credit card and pay it off over time if I'm going to be completely honest).

Well, even though I've almost made up my mind anyway... The help of you lovely bit-tech people would be much appreciated.

I need some wise words.

Do I wait til the next iPhone comes out?
    Do I get it on contract, then sell & upgrade after a couple of months?
    Do I buy it outright, get a sim only contract, and then just do whatever I want?

Thanks people!

2. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

Why can't you get it on contract then sell it and get a different phone later ?

3. BloodlessDawn

Well, that's kinda what I was asking about.

I know that if a contract ends early (through you or the company ending it) they can ask for the phone back. I don't want that to happen (for whatever reason) and then them ask for it back and I say "Yeah, I don't actually have it?"...

If I become the owner as soon as the contract starts - great.
    If I'm not actually the owner until I'm half way through the contract or at the end.... not so great.

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If you end a contract early you still have to pay them out (usually the value of the contract) so they don't ask for it back.

AFAIK it's your phone as soon as it's in your hands & the 14 day cooling off period is over. If not you could ask them to fix it if it broke after 12 months instead of the current way where they keep charging rental & you fix or buy your own phone.

Apophis54 likes this.
  5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Why not buy a cheaper used 3gs or 4 now, then wait to see what happens with your job and the new model iphone. I'm not an apple fan but their gear does hold its value well so the resale price of an older model should still be good in a 7 months or so...
    But that is the sensible option and if your anything like me you will want the shiny things now.

Apophis54 likes this.
  6. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Easy in the next couple of weeks the new Samsung Galaxy III is out.

7. Ferino

Ferino Minimodder

Pretty much what I did mate. Bought the phone outright and have a rolling contract. Mine is a 30 day contract with 3, 1gb data and plenty of mins/texts (300mins/1000 texts iirc), at only £15 a month, if you are prepared to tie in for a year though it goes down to £10 a month. That works out quite a big saving against a £35 a month contract over 2 years.
    If your going to get it on a credit card, go for one with 6-12 months interest free credit and you're quids in.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Totally agree. The iPhone 4 is still a very good device and abundantly available now people are upgrading to the 4S. Residual values on any Apple device is rock solid. Personally I think that the iPhone 5 would have to be spectacularly awesome for me to bother upgrading from the 4. I mean, Vestal Virgins giving you hot oil full body massages while feeding you hand-peeled grapes kind of awesome.

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I got a phone on contract then bought another phone and sold the contract one on with no problems, After that I got a sim only monthly rolling contract unlimited data, 5000 text and 2000 minutes £25 a month, So not locked into a long term contract works out a lot cheaper.

Apophis54 and JBond like this.
  12. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

You will find most staff that work in mobile shops have sim only deals. Best way to go and so so much cheaper in the long run

Apophis54 likes this.
  13. BloodlessDawn

Right, so I've pretty much settled on buying the phone outright, and getting a Sim only deal.

The only problem will be buying the phone...
    I can scramble £200 from the sale of my current phone, and then nab £100 from my salary.
    That leaves £200 not accounted for which I could take out of my salary next month...

Would I be wise putting the purchase on a credit card?
    I'd pay the bill off in part this month, and then would pay it back in full next month...
    I guess the interest would accumulate to what... £10? Maybe not even that if I can help it.

I don't know much about credit cards if I'm going to be honest, but my building society seems to have one on a fair deal. It seems absurd to be getting a credit card just to buy a phone, but I'd use it for monthly bills and stuff too. I would only use it to 'borrow' on a short term. Such as... paying off the bill for a phone over two months. I'd never use it as a long term solution.

Do you people have credit cards?
    Should I get one?
    Is it wise to pay a bill off in chunks over two months if I can?
    Or should I forget it, save over a couple of months, and then buy using cash...

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Save over a couple of months. Tech is always going down in price. And it gives you time to hunt down a bargain.

15. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Credit is a slippery slope, trust me I've been there. If it isn't an essential purchase, then save as nexxo said.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Stick it on card pay it off in 2 chunks if you have 6-12 month interest free on purchases your paying 0 interest. And can pay it of gradually assuming its not leaving you short

17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Yup, this is what I am waiting for