1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics So, it looks like the 1080Ti is going to be a thing...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 14 Sep 2016.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Quite a big leap in transistor count.

1070 not even on the list. I've been left out.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It'll come when Vega comes. Probably just before (as they always like to rush out first) so I would expect Jan/Feb any way.

I have a feeling AMD are saving Vega for Zen, so that they can pretty much offer an entire enthusiast rig to wannabe punters.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

God I hope that Vega is good and cheap and brings overall prices down - I was nosing around at GPUs the other day as my 2 780s are starting to feel a bit long in the tooth in some games and the prices for the top cards have got totally out of hand in the last couple of years (I've just been reading reviews really and not paying all that much attention to prices)

5. rollo

rollo Modder

If Vega is good why will it be cheap? People forget AMD where not always bargain central.

Same with Zen.

AMD need profit and market share. The fact Vega and Zen have both missed Christmas launch is bad as it is.

Nvidia have basically sold what they have made at the price points they are at. AMD will be probably the same cost for baby Vega as the 1080 with maybe 5-10% faster. Big Vega will be one expensive chip if the rumours of size and stuff are true.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I know I'm not in a position to complain, but I completely agree. £500 for a top end card was starting to get a bit silly, and now we're seeing some 1080s at >£700. I know they're luxury items, but damn.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Marketing and brand image determines price more than anything and I think AMDs brand and image has taken a pounding over the past number of years. So even if they come out with something that stands toe to toe with their competitors they will still have to be cheaper up until they can fix their brand image.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

GTX 780 RRP was £550. Inflation adjusted that's £588 today. Scan have the 1080 starting at £568.

There will always be more-money-than-sense-editions of cards that are available for hundreds of quid cheaper. If you don't want to spend the extra dosh, don't buy the turbo-super-bling versions!

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

What could be realistic cheapest version of 1080Ti? £650?

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I know - I remember just over a year ago looking at the EVGA 980ti Hybrid and it was ~£600 not over £700 as the 1080 Hybrid is.

Was it really that high? Maybe it was but I'm fairly sure that I paid like £400 for my 780s (each) although I could be wrong. Perhaps I didn't buy them straight after they came out, although I did buy them new.

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's completely nuts man. Prices are so high that I am actually going to use a different rig in fear of putting too many hours on my hardware.

I'm not pinning my hopes on Vega, but I just hope it's decent for 1440p and doesn't cost the earth.