1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Socket pins, RAM, CPU cooler; problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Arghnews, 17 Dec 2011.

1. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

I'll write out my story in full in case it helps this problem be solved, but the questions I have are at the bottom. Thanks in advance for any help as this is a long story and a complex problem.

I'm running

Asus P6T SE
    i7 950
    6 sticks of RAM, 1GB per stick
    Stock CPU cooler

So system works fine, no overclocking

For my bday, 15th, I got a new case and the Noctua NH-D14. So I quite happily I install it all, and, predictably with computer parts, there's a big fat problem that it refuses to boot. Having already fixed this same error on my brother, I go and see if I can mend/bend any Mobo socket pins back to their appropriate state.
    Sure enough, after pin bending and putting the CPU back with no heatsink, I turn it on for a sec and and I get to see the BIOS - all I need to know that it's worked.
    Anyway, it seems that every time I mount the cooler the system failed. Eventually, with the screws very loosely done up, I got the D14 on and the system working, but horrible sound distortion and freezes were common. I also lost 2 GB of RAM, aka. Windows (7, 64bit, RAM sticks untouched) could only see 4GB of my 6.
    CPU-z could see all the sticks, and I identified the DIMM slots that were broken and removed the "excess" RAM.
    After many more of those freezes, I went in once more with a jeweller's eyepiece, needle and torch, and altered the pins; the problem ones are the 3 on the left hand side, at the very edge of the socket (I've tried reading Intel's spec to identify the pins, but I can't make sense of it). I also cleaned the CPU to make sure the thermal paste wasn't shorting it, although I'm using Arctic MX-4 that is meant to be almost completely non-conductive.
    Anyway, I've got it running now with the D14, as, ironically, the stock cooler gave me the error "CPU Overheat". I daren't tighten it or put the 2nd on fan, in case I knock it and it breaks (happened before). I've also lost ANOTHER RAM stick, so only have 3GB active now :wallbash: . I'm really getting low on RAM now XD

At least the PC actually works, but I'd like my RAM back, my cooler tighter, and I'm not daring to overclock in case of immenent death :sigh: I presume that when I fix the CPU I destroy, for want of a better word, pins that control DIMM slots...

Thanks to anyone who can try to offer help with either mounting the cooler or restoring the RAM, advice on the pins, etc etc as I'm out of options. :wallbash: really shows how I feel about this whole fiasco :D

2. varkanoid

varkanoid Professional Dribbler

have you checked the stanchions that your motherboard is mounted on ? Are they all even ? Sounds like your motherboard is bowed in some way. Also make sure they are not shorting it too.