1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Software Allocation (Sound)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Treacles, 26 Sep 2011.

1. Treacles

Treacles Member

Does anyone know any way i could allocate specific programs to either my Headphones or my Speakers? Want to put itunes on my headphones and then games i play onto my speakers, but i cant find any settings in windows, itunes or even the games settings

2. Deders

Deders Well-Known Member

does your headphones have a separate sound output from your speakers? if your speakers are on spdif or optical then you should be able to tell most programs which output to route the sound to.

3. Treacles

Treacles Member

My "Speakers" are attached to my TV, so my GPU (6850 in case it matters) outputs it through HDMI, and my Headphones go through the on-board audio-outs at the back... Im not really sure wether they're Spdif or optical? :S

4. Deders

Deders Well-Known Member

So basically you have 2 different soundcards. One on your graphics and one on your motherboard. You should be able to assign Windows to default to one, some programs will allow you to use a different sound output. Winamp for instance will give you the option if you look deep enough.

Not sure about iTunes as I don't use it. but it's possible there is an option.

5. Byron C

Byron C And now a word from our sponsor

Just fired it up and I couldn't find any option to change the default sound output device. A quick google seems to indicate that it's not possible to change the output device that iTunes uses (source: http://forums.ilounge.com/itunes-mac-pc/174087-make-itunes-use-my-other-soundcard-windows.html) - it just uses whatever is the default...

Though an alternate solution is just to set your on-board sound as the default output device. Then change the default sound device for any application that you use on the TV (this is how my setup works - XBMC is set to play sound to a different audio device). I am assuming that HDMI audio counts as a separate audio device in Windows - I don't have HDMI audio, so can't verify this, but I can't see how it would work any differently.