1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source Software for editing mp3 and videos

Discussion in 'Software' started by SirFur, 30 Oct 2011.

1. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some opensource software for editing music files and splitting them up...I have some music compilations several hours long each and I want to split them up into 'tracks' so that I can get more variety and shuffle between compilations. So I want to split up the file into smaller chunks. I know there are software out there for this but I wouldn't know where to look first...

In addition, I'd also like an all-in-one program if at all possible that also lets me do the same with videos and too add sound to clips etc and add graphical blurps/text onscreen. I have heard about windows movie-maker being quite good but I have never used it and I am not sure what functionalities are available with the program.

This is my first venture into this kind of activity so I'd also need it to be relatively simple...although I am not afraid of complicated procedures, all I mean something that is easy to pick up and play with.

Thanks all

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Audacity
    Avidmux

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If your mp3 have an accompanying cue file, a cue splitter would be easiest. Otherwise audacity since it gives you a visual representation of the wave form it's usually easy to pick out the ends of songs.

The only half decent free video editor I have used is Kino, but it's linux only.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Soundforge is also a good option for audio editing, Same visual representation of the wave. Not sure about what demo limitations would affect basic editing though.

5. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Haven't had a chance yet to try, but I will give audacity a whirl. I have it downloaded for when I'm ready to use it....just need TIME...lol!

BTW Thanks guys for the info! :thumb: