1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays [SOLVED] Cannot find appropriate adapter (probably because I'm daft)...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ModSquid, 28 Oct 2022.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

...either that or for some arcane reason it just does not exist.

It IS Halloween though, so I suspect some sorcery is at work. Aaaaaaanyway - I'm looking for a female Displayport to male (or female - doesn't matter, because I have an adapter for that) HDMI adapter to hook up to a monitor. Like this, but in reverse ie. there's a male-male DP lead coming from the PC as usual, but I need it to connect to the HDMI socket on the monitor (because it's a G-Sync, only has 1x DP and 1x HDMI and the DP is being used by a different machine. But I cloud the issue...).

Either I'm not looking in the right places, or such a gubbins doesn't exist. I'd be surprised if it's the latter but then I'm not exactly famed for my wealth of technical knowledge. Could someone please either:
    • point me in the right direction for what I outline above?
    • provide an alternative solution?
    • or confirm I have indeed got no hope and need to rethink?
    Thanks in advance as always, team :thumb:

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I thought GSync only works over DP bc... nvidia...

All the adaptors that come to mind are that way round [for converting DP to HDMI].

If you want to go from DP at the PC end to HDMI at the monitor end, you want one of those adaptors and a regular HDMI cable from it to the monitor iirc

Those adaptors also tend to only work in one direction [image nabbed from cllub3d]

[​IMG]

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Maybe something like this might help?

[​IMG]

ModSquid likes this.
  4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Yes to both - I think either of those might be what I'm after!

It's not going on the G-Sync module as such ie. it's not for games etc. and good refresh rates, just connecting a work box to my existing monitor. The work box only has DP outputs, but I don't want to be switching cables around all the time when I log off and want to use the screen for my own stuff/gaming (I know I could add a 2xDP switch box or an extension cable but was trying to do it a) cheaply and b) without having to change cables every time).

That first image seems to back up what I'm thinking - DP out to HDMI in at the monitor, but is there no cable add-in that does the same job, given they're both digital? @kenco_uk - where was that adapter dongle from?

5. RedFlames

ModSquid likes this.
  6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Aargh - poop! I've been staring at these things so long I've tied my eyes in knots!

Apologies, the above is in fact the opposite of what I'm after. I need it to have a female DP one end regardless, then an HDMI x-male/whatever on the other end (that I can adapt). Has to be female DP one end though - I thought the earlier pic of the HP adapter might have had a female DP on a sticky-outy-yet-hollow socket affair, but obvs it was out of shot.

7. RedFlames

but why?

The way you've described it you want what we've described...

DP out on PC -> DP->HDMI converter -> HDMI Cable -> HDMI in on monitor

Are you so adverse to buying an HDMI cable that you're tying yourself in pretzels to use the DP cable you currently have?

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

No, it's that the DP out on PC ends in a male connection, so the above wouldn't help as it has a female HDMI connection and a male DP. The PC doesn't actually have HDMI out unforts, otherwise I'd connect it straight using that.

I've got/need in blue: male DP from PC GPU -> male DP at other end of cable -> female DP to any sex HDMI adapter -> HDMI lead to spare port on monitor (bold being the must-have). Actually, I wonder as I type if there's a male-female DP cable available somewhere that I can swap in...

EDIT:
    OH. MY. GOD.
    I'm such an idiot. :wallbash: I see what you mean now - I do apologise. Use the above adapter to go into the PC instead of the cable, then HDMI cable to monitor...what an absolute doofus.

It's as you say, I've been staring at the issue for so long and been fixated on the DP cable that I've snowblinded myself. I'll get one of those adapters then!

Thanks guys and apologies again - assistance very much appreciated :rock:.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2022
    RedFlames likes this.
  9. RedFlames

Go get some coffee... and/or some sleep...

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

:thumb: I guess I should have said to plug the DP>HDMI adapter straight into the DP port on your PC, then run a HDMI cable from it to the HDMI in on your monitor, that might have helped. I've got a very similar adapter I use on my nas, just a basic no-name adapter, but it works fine.

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah, bud - I think it was the latter. Sometimes I'm sure a lobotomist gnome must creep in in the night and do some part-time work on me. I used to be a functioning human being but these days I am wondering.
    No worries dude - I think it's one of those things where it's incredibly obvious if you know and blindingly opaque if you're so blinkered on a specific part of the problem. We got there in the end though! Part is ordered and should be here today, I think.

Cheers all for the assist :thumb: