1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux [Solved]How to Partition a Hard drive Using Ubuntu 10.10??

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by DeafGamer2015, 8 Feb 2012.

1. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Hello Bit-techers,

I'm a bit stumped on how to create an partition on my hard drive.. I'm currently using Ubuntu 10.10 right now. Does anyone know how to do this?

I am planning to install Windows on this laptop in the next few months and I don't want to deal with buying a 2nd hard drive right now due to the high prices due to the flood.

So if you know how to do that using Ubuntu 10.10 please make it clear enough for me to understand so I can figure how to do this.

Thanks for taking your time out to read this.

Gaming_freak_10

By the way, Bit-Tech.net forums rules! :rock:

Last edited: 12 Feb 2012
  2. Gurdeep14

Gurdeep14 Minimodder

3. moorsey

moorsey What's a Dremel?

indeed, grab the gparted live CD, so you don't need Ubuntu really.

Burn the disc, boot up to it, then partition away

You can do the same from an Ubuntu live cd, as gparted is installed by default, so if you have booted upto ubuntu, then find the gparted app and off you go

DeafGamer2015 likes this.
  4. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Thank you both :) here's some +rep coming your way both of you!!

[Edit]:I just burned the gparted live to a blank cd.. will handle the rest later when i get an hard drive for backup, just don't want to lose all of my data in case if i screw up the partition thing.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2012
  5. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

If I understand you correctly you already have Ubuntu and are re-partitioning the drive so that you can dual boot Windows? If I have it right you'll need to look up on how to fix the mbr/bootloader afterwards as Windows tends to re-write it for Windows only.

If I've misunderstood then ignore me :)

6. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

no you're correct there Monkiboi.. but i'm just going to move my stuff off ubuntu to another hard drive then install the windows on the original hard drive then re-partition that and install Ubuntu alongside.. and there we go.. a bit lot of work but not that bad really..

7. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

UPDATE!!!! Just installed Windows XP Pro on this laptop.. repaired the MBR boot loader now transferring my stuff.. 30.1 GB worth of stuff to be transferred..

Edit: it looks like I can't back up my stuff on Windows for some reason.. I guess Windows is now for gaming only.. meh it was worth a try.

Linux: Casual Surfing
    Windows: Gaming..

Last edited: 24 Feb 2012
  8. moorsey

moorsey What's a Dremel?

Whats the issue? Are you running the copy in Linux, copying files from Linux to Windows partitions?

I have only ever had trouble with this when the Windows file system had been hibernated or similar, Linux has issues working with the NTFS file system in this state, very bizarre issue.

9. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

it says I can't burn my stuff to blank dvds to backup.... and it's from Linux to Windows partitions yes.. and I can't backup my stuff even through Windows or Linux..