1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice [SOLVED] Suddenly incredibly slow

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by adampski, 26 Dec 2012.

1. adampski

adampski What's a Dremel?

A couple of months ago, I went into BIOS with a very naive attitude and just bumped up my CPU freq to 3.5+. A few weeks ago I cleaned out my computer case, gave it a spring clean! I cleaned the CPU chip and applied new thermal paste. I was getting readings of 20-35c, happy days.

Until I recently went back into the BIOS, changed my DRAM voltage to 1.5 (don't ask why, just accept the fact I did). I noticed a considerable change in my system's speed. I sorted to immediately going straight back and reverting all settings back to default (auto). Still the computer is consisting of some slag.

I revert back to the BIOS and changed my profile to X.M.P. (which mobo manual recommends of the RAM modules I have in) - now it's just a piece of c*** and I'm losing my patience. I can boot into safe mode, but even that is incredibly slow and took nearly an hour to scan 200,000 files with 3 hours remaining.

What have I done to deserve this?

My specs are below:

Asus P7P55D-E LX
    INTEL I7 870 2.93GHZ being cooled by Coolmaster V8
    WD 1TB SATA3 7200rpm
    Antec TruePower Quattro 850W
    GTX 460 1GB OC Ed.
    Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600MHz 1.5V x2

BIOS is up to date.

Would really appreciate any help suggested as these are desperate times for to get this running normally again! Thank you!

Adam

Last edited: 28 Dec 2012
  2. adampski

adampski What's a Dremel?

BUMP - it's becoming painful now.

SOLVED

This afternoon I entered safe mode and gave the virus scan one last chance (a lot of time on my hands today to just sit there and watch) - luckily I did do the most boring job in the world by sitting there watching it like paint dry because BSoD hit me and gave me error code F4, which according to here:

http://www.faultwire.com/solutions-...to-system-operation-has-0x000000F4-*1241.html

...signified potential cabling issue with HDD, of course when I resat everything I distinctively remember taking sata3 cable from port 2, to port 1. So I just switched it back now, running another virus scan (booted into Windows) and everything seems perfect so far.

*touching wood* Lesson learnt.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2012
  3. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

And todays lesson is.

If it's not broke don't fix it.

You might want to check the drive for errors (just in case).

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

4. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I lable my cables to the port numbers it's a bit OC but I'd hate to get the wrong port on my SSD raid and break it up :/