1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows [Solved] Win 7 and VIA VT1708S Line In cutting out after 5 minutes idle

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by smithnc07, 4 Dec 2009.

1. smithnc07

smithnc07 What's a Dremel?

I'm currently having a problem with my audio cutting out.
    I have my computer setup in the following way:

'1' 22inch Samsung monitor hooked into a HDMI switch. The switch takes input from two sources: My xbox 360 and my computer (both using native HDMI to the switch).

The xbox's audio is sent to my motherboard's( M4A78T-E with VIA VT1708S on board. Package Version: 7.3.00.30, Driver Version: 6.0.1.7300 ) audio input.

The audio in is then sent as output to my speakers. This all had worked 100% with the beta win 7 32-bit but now that I have retail win 7 64-bit I ran into this problem. When I am playing Xbox, after about 5 minutes the audio drops. To get it working again I have to switch my HDMI switch back to my computer and switch it back.

I have tried to get updated drivers, but Asus's site doesn't have any audio drivers for the motherboard for win 7 64-bit and the past drivers either don't install properly or crash when I attempt to edit advance options. Thus I have the drivers directly from VIA.

I figure that something is cutting out while windows is 'idle'. But I can't seem to figure out what it is.

Does anyone have an idea what would be causing the audio to drop?

Smith

Last edited: 4 Dec 2009
  2. smithnc07

smithnc07 What's a Dremel?

After some more testing, I have found out that even if the keyboard and mouse are 'in use' and should be keeping windows out of idling, the sound still cuts out at the 5 minute mark(+ some seconds).

This made me think that it may be some kind of issue with the computer trying to send the sound over HDMI and not the analog sound cord. Thus I opened windows 7 sound options and removed all the other optional sound playback devices, leaving only speakers.

Sadly that didn't change anything.

Update: I think I figured it out, and I feel rather sheepish. For windows 7 playback devices, under the recording tab. When I do properties for 'Line In' and select the 'Listen' tab, there's a check box labeled "Listen to this device". It wasn't checked... when I checked it, my sound stayed past the 5 minute mark while playing some xbox 360.