1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some cooling questions!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fighter666, 5 Nov 2001.

1. Fighter666

Fighter666 What's a Dremel?

Hy i am new in this foruma and i have some questions!!:)
    i have and AMD Thunderbird 1200 and i need a better coller on it. i have an Vulcano now and it does s**t. When the CPU is idle the temp is about 37. So which went to buy???? I the price should not be too high??? I am considering to buy an dragon orb3 is the went any good and what about the water colling sistems are they any good. i need a very good cpu cooling sis because i am considering to overclock it as soon as thewarany expires.
    BTW: which speeds ca i reach with an AMD 1200 with not too much risks????

THANX IN ADVANCE

2. Cheese

Cheese Doc

For value I would go for the sk6, be prepared to lap it if the one you get doesn't look very shiny but it's the best cheapish heatsink around.

Cheers,

r.

p.s. Blueice will shout at you if you buy an orb :D

3. Ataraxia

Ataraxia <b>OOH BABY!!!</b>

The answer to this has to be 1200!

anything you get over stock speed is a bonus - overclocks should not be taken for granted!

4. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

My 1.2 does 1.4 with a Taisol 760 on it. It reaches around 49&deg;c under load which isn't too bad.

I reckon I could get more, but the low 5v problem I have with the Enermax PSU and Epox 8K7A+ is keeping me going much higher. It drops to around 4.6 v under load :(

5. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

Buy a Taisol 760.

You might then be able to get a bit of an overclock, start low, and once you're sure everything's stable and working nicely, try a little higher (and I do mean a little) until you find it's limit. (as in runs windows without crashing, NOT as in it posts....)

should be able to get 1250 out of it I reckon, try turning the FSB up a teeny bit.

6. RTT

RTT #parp

u can expect about a 200mhz overclock from the averager Tbird chip.

some will not do that much, others will happily do more.

just incrase in small increments until you get a feeling that you shouldnt go any further ;)

7. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Nah, just whack the voltage up and start playing :)

I maxed out the DDR voltage and upped the CPU by 0.1v before I'd even started :) It does increase the CPU temp though.

It's currently at 10*140, and you will see more increase if you get a higher FSB rather than a multiplier. But not all PCI cards can handle the increased bus speed though, so that will also hold you back a bit.

But for those all important benchmarks you can rip them all out and see how high your graphics card will go before it falls over.