1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Something appears to have died in my pc

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by rigid_digit, 11 Feb 2010.

1. rigid_digit

rigid_digit New Member

Right it's not the power supply, took the power supply out of a working pc, and as soon as you connect the 4 pin the same thing happens. Is it worth stripping the graphics card and the ram off the motherboard and seeing if it makes any difference? Should I leave it on and see if it boots without the 4 pin connected? or is that inviting damage? Unfortunately i have no other compatible componenets that I can try to find out if one of other component is faulty. Is it worth taking the CPU off the mothboard and seeing if it still trips the power supply?

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I don't believe you'll be able to power on without having a CPU on your motherboard. Since you seem to experience the same problem with a different PSU, I agree that your own PSU probably isn't to blame. Unless something's gone seriously wrong I also believe your CPU is in good shape. Right now I'm suspecting the motherboard as the source of your problems. You should focus your attention on that.

3. rigid_digit

rigid_digit New Member

Thanks for the replies. My plan is to strip everything out of the case, and then, gradually add components to the motherboard until it trips the power out. So in the 1st instance my intention is to connect just the 24pin atx, and then add the 4 pin, then the CPU, then the Ram, and finally the graphics card etc.

Whilst the board may not power up with no CPU in it, it might still trip which would seem to point to the board rather than the CPU?

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Am i gonna damage the mainboard powering it up with no components on it? (assuming it isn't the faulty component).

I was also gonna assemble the components on a table rather than in the case just to ensure it isn't grounding anywhere on the case. any comments welcome, thanks for reading.

4. rigid_digit

rigid_digit New Member

Ok, I stripped everything out of the pc, and removed all components from the mainboard, including the cpu. With the mainboard on a piece of cardboard, I then tried to power up the board with just the 24 pin atx connected (I also had a case fan connected directly to the psu via a molex). With just the 24 pin connected the case fan span and showed no signs of stopping, also 1 of the blue leds on the mainboard lit and remained on. I quickly switched off the power to minimise any damage that such action might cause. I then connected the 4 pin atx to the mainboard and it tripped the PSU immediately. i repeated the experiment with the other PSU from a working pc. Exactly the same thing happened.

Faulty mainboard?

Also now that i have removed the heatsink from my cpu, do i need now need to clean up both the heatsink and the cpu and then reapply fresh thermal paste or can i just stick them back together?

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

It sounds like a faulty motherboard.

Also, you have to clean both the heatsink and the CPU and reapply thermal paste. I can recommend Arctic Silver ArctiClean 1 & 2 to remove the residue and Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal paste from personal experience. Works like a charm. You may want to read up on their instructions, especially on how to apply the thermal paste, since there're different approaches for different CPU types.

6. nissanskyrice

nissanskyrice Terminally Lazy

I would recommend cleaning and using fresh thermal paste but if its just for testing temporarily to confirm your mainboard is faulty i would just stick them back together. I do dell warranty work pretty much every day and most of the time they dont even send thermal paste and we havent had any problems with repaired systems overheating and we've been having 30+degree heat most days the last few weeks.

... and yes I would have to agree with you that your mainboard is faulty. It's almost never the CPU. Ive only replaced about 5 or 6 faulty CPU's in 9 years of warranty work.

7. rigid_digit

rigid_digit New Member

Cheers guys, thanks for the replies, in process of returning mainboard to supplier for "testing". Let's hope they agree it's faulty!