1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PlayStation 4 Sony adopts AMD graphics for PS4?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 23 Feb 2012.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brianca...w-console-in-the-works-amd-building-graphics/

It's a VERRRRYYY short piece by Forbes, but they aren't the usual rumour **** stirring site so there is plausibility in it. AMD has great relationships with console makers and we can expect Nvidia burnt its bridges with Sony over the PS3 (as it did with Microsoft over the original Xbox) and if this is true, both MS and Sony to have PPC/GCN unified chips in them and ALL consoles will be PPC/AMD at least! :eeek:

2. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

R.I.P physx in games.

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Good god does that pass for journalism these days? On topic the devs will love a more unified architecture between the various consoles which I predicted would happen in of the next gen speculation threads.

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Admiteddly; this could help turn stuff around for AMD. Their processors are ass at the moment, but the sales income that'll come from both the new Xbox and the new Playstation being built on AMD gpus should be rather good, it might actually help them fund their failing R&D department on the CPU end. This is assuming they ever try and compete at the top end after the kicking they got last time.

5. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

+1

6. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

+2

would be great to have AMD of old back...

7. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

+3

After the 9800 Pro things were just never the same :waah:

I remember the 9800 Pro could take as many volts as you could throw at it. Try similar things on a X1900XT for example and the only thing you get is smoke :worried:

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I am sure I had a peltier and liquid cooled 9800 pro. It was my one and only ATI. It was a pile of old bollocks. Even with the peltier it was hot and didn't overclock well.

AMD GPU's are much better on overclocks these days of course.

I remember the months prior to launch of PS3, Wii and crapbox 3.60. I thought the wii motion control was great and wondered if I might buy the console. Turns out it was a pretty crap console. PS3 was great in terms of graphics. Crapbox I never even considered buying.

I will never buy a console again. I stopped at the PS1 which I was bored with 3 months after buying. I sold it.

9. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

With unified console GPU's we might finally see proper physics in games, even if they do have to be crappy console ports.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yet again feathers I'm dragged away from a frosty beer at tea-time because of your impressive ability to spout useless ********. Please stop.

Constructive posts with a bit of tongue in cheek are fine, but just wandering round trolling the forums is not on. Consider this a warning that my patience is wearing thin.

11. ZxH800

ZxH800 What's a Dremel?

Interesting news, does anyone know who made the PS3s graphics chip? Regardless though, AMD's GPUs are still going strong IMO, unlike their enthusiast processors.

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Nvidia & Sony pretty much based on a 7800 chip AFAIK.

13. .//TuNdRa

7800? I heard it was the 7300. I know it was a 7000 chip, though.

Long story short; Eggsbox based on say, a 5750 would be legendarily powerful, considering everything on the console is written direct-to-metal, which means a good 200% performance over running it through DirectX or similar.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

cant see it happening

nvidia will have some pretty exclusive contract with sony for ps3 currently

cant see them going to AMD when the ps3 probably has the best looking game of any console this gen ( uncharted 3 ) and unless amd are undercutting nvidia by a decent amount.

But where does this leave the console wars that people like to babble on about if both consoles use the exact same gpu and cpu, Will be very little reason to buy both consoles as most do right now. Would also make coding very easy for developers as they would be coding for the exact same hardware.

Would also make a price difference between them hard to come by as using the same tech they have basically the same bill for materials.

15. .//TuNdRa

Same developer, but not necessarily the same GPU. Also the coding restrictions could be different. OSX and Windows are both built upon AMD64 as an architecture; they both approach stuff different ways, despite the same tools.

It would make developers lives easier, though. One unified GPU & CPU layout would be nice, Just with speed variations to force them to make scalable engines.

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Found an old AnandTech article clicky.

It seems:
    My god, that's from nearly 7 years ago. :eeek:

17. .//TuNdRa

And instantly; you realize how old it is. Ugh.

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

+1

If this is indeed true, then that's pretty much the end for PhysX. Why would anyone wish for this? Even AMD fanboys can see the logic of not wanting this.

19. alastor

alastor Minimodder

To everyone hoping this turns around AMDs finances if it comes to pass, I doubt it'll have that much of an impact. Graphics chips in consoles may be co-designed by AMD/Nvidia but they basically sell the design wholesale to MS/Sony to then make themselves. I don't think there's much in the way of ongoing royalties etc.

20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

PhysX could just as easily be calculated on CPU, oftentimes as a way to utilize all the cores we have and don't use. It's an artificial limitation to keep it nVidia only, and it doesn't bring anything to the games that have it. So please, RIP Physx.