1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Sony netbook, anyone know more?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eek, 19 Aug 2009.

1. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Righto, I've done some research and I've pretty much decided to buy a Sony netbook (W not P) but either my Google-fu skills are not up to scratch, or there is a major lack of info on them!

What I want to know is if the memory is upgradable or not... I know some netbooks have the memory chips soldered to the motherboard which would pose a problem regarding putting an extra GB in there. Anyone got any idea?

Also, does anyone know a release date? I saw them in Micro Anvika and the Sony Centre today, and assumed they were thus available online, however haven got back and had a look, it appears I was mistaken!

BTW, any attempts to sway me towards another brand with probably fail. I want the high res screen limiting me to the Dell mini 10 (which is limited to 1GB memory) and the HP 5101 which is also unreleased and more expensive. I was tempted by the P (can get one for a similar price) but they are too small for general use IMO (gonna stick Win7 on it so vista slowness is a non-issue).

I also thought about waiting for pine trail/pineview/tiger point, but netbooks featuring it are not likely to hit until December at the earliest and I need something before then. I'll probably upgrade it every 6-12 months anyway so that also makes the point relatively moot!

Cheers for any help :thumb:

2. PLM728

PLM728 What's a Dremel?

The max amount of memory these can take is sadly 2GB and Im not entirely sure but with it being a Z series cpu I think the ram and cpu are all on one module! Not a bright idea but it stops tampering I guess...

Paul

3. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

The w series uses the n280 atom I believe rather than the z. I'm not bothered about the 2gb limit, just want to check it's not limited to 1gb physically

In a way i'd prefer the z series atom as the gfx seems better for video with the latest drivers! Can't win them all :)