1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Sound Card Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Garuda, 8 Dec 2013.

1. Garuda

Garuda What's a Dremel?

I'm not too knowledgeable about sound devices, so I need help about getting a sound card. I pretty much do everything, gaming, music, talking with friends, etc. I'm looking for around $100, and I plan to use a decent headset with it. I have a PCIe x1 slot and legacy PCI available.

I'll be upgrading from the ALC892 that is on my MSI Z77A-G43. The sound is ok, although for some reason when I plug into the 3.5mms in back there is a lot of static-y sound, maybe interference from other parts of the MoBo? So hopefully if I get a card I don't have to deal with that. Right now I'm actually using a Corsair USB headset, so I don't think I'll get any benefits right now, though I plan to get a nice pair of 5.1s if I get a soundcard. Thanks.

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Something like the Asus Xonar DGX will give you a massive upgrade over your onboard audio for less than half of your budget and will happily drive a headset if you did change to an analog one at a later date.

3. Garuda

Garuda What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the suggestion, that does look nice. But what about this? ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 It looks a bit nice, though it doesn't have that S/PDIF(not really sure what that does though). Also what about the Creative Sound Blaster? That seems to have a lot of features. (Sorry, I'm usually pretty knowledgeable about computer parts, but I know nothing when it comes to sound)

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

The DX is the one up from the DGX I think though I cant say if your gonna notice a difference or not. Creative stuff has always sparked arguments over driver problems. I've had my X-Fi for a number of years now and never had any problems with it though some people have never managed to get theirs to work properly, it seems to be a bit of a pot luck if it'll play well with your PC, though I don't know if the new Sound Blaster Z range has inherited the driver issues from the X-Fis.

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

A lot of "5.1" and actual 5.1 headsets have build in sound chips so you might not need a sound card at all. the Logitech G930 has build in for example.

6. suragh

suragh Derp

The G930 in built sound chip and its software are a pain to set up 'perfectly', and the latest drivers aren't as good compared to the pre-gen drivers. (Currently using one).

I am with Lancer on this. If you want quality, look at the Asus DX/DGX range. Even the cheapest cards out of that range are decent.

7. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

me to actually but OP wants 5.1 head set.

Personally I prefer studio headphones and good sound card like in my sig.

8. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I bought a Asus Xonar D2 6 months ago and its made a big difference. It took a while for me to find the right settings but i now have it set up for DD 5.1 through a s/pdif cable and actually its really simple once i knew. Everything just sounds better and more detailed.

9. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'd advise against the Xonar DGX, it seemingly has some sound issues that causes background noise and other issues, I believe it was posted up on this forum at one point, but I can't locate the original post.

Stay away from Creative stuff entirely, the one Ace in the hole they had, EAX, is basically Moot under windows 7, and the drivers are somewhat broken, as I've had to find out before trying to help a friend get his machine working with a Creative Fatl1ty card.

I'm using the Xonar DX personally, and it's a cracking card, although it might just be because I grabbed this a couple of years back and have been rocking it since, It's taken everything I've thrown at it and has only one or two minor issues that I would want fixed. As for SPDIF; The Xonar DX's Line-out socket doubles as an Optical Out for Dobly Digital/Live, if that's the kind of thing you're after.

As far as 5.1 headphones go; The Tritton AX series seems to be fairly good for being actual physical 5.1 (Although, amusingly, my HD 485s have a wider soundstage.), beyond that; I've not seen all that much else that is true 5.1 and not 2.0 upscaled using Dobly Headphone Surround. (Which, incidentally, the Xonar cards also have as an option if it's your thing. It will skew audio reproduction, but it does give off some fairly accurate positional sound, at least as far as I've tested.)