1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Sound help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by sonicgroove, 29 Aug 2022.

1. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

I have recently acquired an old Epson projector with a D Sub connection and my mini PC Acer revo I am using as a source is HDMI or DVI only. I purchased a vga to HDMI adapter and used the dsub to dsub cable to connect to the projector. I have some speakers for sound but it doesn't matter whether I connect them to the projector or the mini pc, I get no sound. There are options for HDMI or Optical when right clicking the volume widget. I want neither. How do I get the PC to output the sound via the headphone socket? Troubleshooting just says there is.nothing connected to the headphone output. I'm baffled

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What happens if you plug a pair of headphones into the mini-PC instead? Could just be that the speakers are busted.

3. sonicgroove

I have tried 2 sets of speakers that are in perfect order...a JBL set and some Creative T40s. I don't get why it can't take the sound from the projector directly though.

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Are you using a separate audio lead to the projector?
    If you're going HDMI source then HDMI to VGA (DSub) adaptor you'll lose the audio out as VGA is analogue video only

5. sonicgroove

I have a hdmi to vga converter connected to the Acer so I can use the vga to vga lead to the projector. I thought that just plugging the speakers into the headphone jack of the Acer or into the audio out of the projector would produce the sound but it seems neither are capable due to the HDMI port being used, even though it isn't a true hdmi cable from point to point. There must be a way of doing it but I'm buggered if I know :( do you think a DVI to VGA cable would solve it so the HDMI port isn't being used? Or maybe a optical to 3.5mm cable instead of using the headphone jack?

6. Arboreal

Which Revo is it?
    What physical outputs do you have on it for video & sound?
    I wonder if you may need an HDMI Audio Extractor box... HDMI in, HDMI video passthrough and the one I saw (£19 Amazon) has RCA pre out and a headphone socket

7. sonicgroove

It's an old RL80....it has optical, hdmi, DVI and headphone/mic ports on the front. I only paid a tenner for the projector and £20 for the Acer, so a £20 adapter, while not being much, almost doubles the outlay!

8. Arboreal

Thanks Sonic, It looks like the DVI is DVI-I ie digi/analogue.
    I'd recommend using that for video out and see if there's sound through the jack - are sound drivers installed?

9. sonicgroove

I shall order a new adapter and give it a go , cheers pal

10. sonicgroove

Quick update....turns out the headphone jack is toast.on the Acer. I ended up buying a £10 DAC from Amazon and using the SPDIF out and plugging the speakers into its own headphone jack . It now performs as it should.

Arboreal likes this.