1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Soundcards Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio -> Asus Xonar DX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PegasusM, 9 Jan 2012.

1. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

Hi,
    I currently have a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio card, and I'm considering upgrading to an Asus Xonar DX. Will I notice an improvement with this card?
    I have Logitech Z5500 5.1 Speakers and listen to various genres of music as well as films and games.

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

very marginal, I think the over all sound will be a bit more defined and MP3s sound a little better but with those speakers .......... meh

PegasusM likes this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I run a DS (PCI version on the DX) with my SP2500's and its a fantastic card :)

PegasusM likes this.
  4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

xtreme audio is also a fairly good card. I dont think there is much in them at all really, apart from the asus card is a bit newer. I do not know if there will even be any improvement through those speakers.

PegasusM likes this.
  5. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

Thanks everyone +rep. I don't think it will be a worthwhile upgrade for the time being then.

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

If you're not having issues with the current Creative drivers; don't bother. The two are roughly equal (Although I wouldn't go to creative after having had this DX. It's awesome!) in terms of sound quality at similar priceranges. The Xonar just doesn't tend to have drivers that go completely ape sh!t in some cases.

7. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I thought the DS was a separate model and the D1 was the PCI version of the DX, which is PCI-E...

8. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

The DX is, at it's core, a PCI soundcard with a PCI - PCI-E lane converter on the board, I think the PCI version is the DS, though.

9. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

What I'm saying is the D1 and DX are essentially the same card, but one requires a 6pin floppy connecter and is PCI-E, but the other is PCI and is powered from the mobo.

The DS is a different card altogether, however, with different features and so forth.