1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soyuz*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tmerelin, 8 Feb 2004.

1. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

:duh:

cant beleive I missed this one for so long. Awesome metal working skills, man, keep it up!

Bah, I couldnt stand large giant tornado fans. I want some decent quiet from my PC; my 80mm 4 led Cooler Masters ablige at 23db each :thumb: but unfortunately, the two fans that came stock with the case dont. :duh: Time to invest in some acoustifans ;) (Even if they are quite expensive)

2. guy

guy What's a Dremel?

whoa this is an awesome project

3. BadKarma

BadKarma What's a Dremel?

I need to make a aluminum box for a project i am working on... maybe i could come to your work and live there for a week or so! :hehe: great work btw :dremel: :thumb:

4. tmerelin

tmerelin What's a Dremel?

I actually made this at my school (Helsinki University of Art and Design) but go ahead :hehe: They close for the summer at the 15th of June so I have to make my last steel pieces by then. Two weeks plus to go :worried: I try to upload some piccies this evening so stay tuned.

5. Buzku

Buzku What's a Dremel?

Hyvä Suomi!

Nice case, I like it very much.

My friend has 3 Ystechs, I think they are about same type. At 12v the sound is... well... amazingly loud but in 5v the sound is nice. (But you have material that reduces noise, thats good).

Are you going to post that case to Metku Modgallery?

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Lordy, lordy, lordy... that is just looking WAY too tasty! Nice work! :rock:

7. tmerelin

Suomi rulettaa modausskenellä!
    Of course I'm going to put this case in Metku. But not until it's ready... :D

Thanks a bunch! Joy to hear nice comments from the Bit-Tech gurus!!! :hip:

Minor update as I promised. I managed to lose my ftp password so sorry for the delay.. :wallbash:

As before I'm mainly focusing on showing pics and not that much words. So on with the pics:

[​IMG]
    The Aquatube glowing nicely on m table with UV-led and UV-reactive water.

[​IMG]
    overview: Most of the HW installed.

[​IMG]
    Closeup on my Aquacooled Radeon 9700Pro. Even though the case is somewhat big, it's still a bit tight in there. And I think I have to get longer IDE-cables for my drives... :hehe:

[​IMG]
    My two 160G SATA Barracudas :rock: Double sound/vibration dampening. The yellow inside the drivecage is thick foam.

The drivecage and water pump are both installed onto a board of steel connected to the frame with dampening pads. (the little black studs). Focus on the ghetto side of this mod: The drivecage is connected with double sided tape and steel wire :thumb: Beginning to look relly like a Soviet spacecraft :hehe:

[​IMG]
    Two drives resting on a plate of steel. Not yet connected to the frame.

[​IMG]
    This is the part I was mainly worried bout my design. Thats a 480W Enermax without fans :eeek: Above the two 120mm fans are taking over and sucking air to the case via the exposed PSU. Works nicely and the power is actually really cool.

The two "fanducts" are of course airproofed so the airflow is going through the PSU and not from the sides. Later on the case insulated covers act as walls to the ducts. Same also on the radiator side of the fanducts. God this is really hard to explain... :blah:

[​IMG]
    And this is the powerplant! :rock: 3.4G P4 w. 1Gb Corsair TwinX4000Pro modules :) The memory should stay cool above the 120mm fan... :D

BTW I spend total 3 days trying to get the tubing onto the Swiftech block... Those "Quick"connector are the worst ever. :wallbash: I'm not going to whine anymore but my hands were aching for a week afterwards...

Only thing p***ing me off right now is the awful noise that Abit OTES cooling system makes. Wonder if I could just pull out the plug from the fan without frying the board :dremel:

So that's it. Hope you enjoy the pictures and keep those comments and suggestions coming! :hip:

8. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

rather nice, but if the OTES makes noise, then the fan is bad. Just remove it's shroud. The 120mm fan will cool it.

9. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    The drivecage and water pump are both installed onto a board of steel connected to the frame with dampening pads. (the little black studs). Focus on the ghetto side of this mod: The drivecage is connected with double sided tape and steel wire :thumb: Beginning to look relly like a Soviet spacecraft :hehe:

I love the chicken wire.. Outstanding!!!!!! Love the bulky feel of the case I am tired of all these low profile smaller is better cases.. Give me something MAN SIZED!!!

10. Tulatin

also - those quick connectors take me about 3 seconds to attach and remove.

11. tmerelin

I used too thick a tubing. Although the manual said ½ inches, and the tubing I used was 12.6 mm. The problem was that when I got a piece of the tubing in, it wouldn't come out anymore without using a lot of force. I solved the situation by heating the tubing with heat gun and then stretching it as hard as I could. The tubing stretched and therefore also shrinked just enough to get it in. But this wasn't as easy as one two three. The teaching of this lesson: Do not read manuals. Trust your gut.

12. Tulatin

Swiftech has a bad habit of using OD instead of ID. They take 3/8 tubing :lol:

13. tmerelin

The tubing I used was 9/12.6mm so it should have fitted.

14. Tulatin

yes it should. I take it you used thick walled tube?

15. tmerelin

Clear basic PVC tube. The inside diameter was 9mm and the outside 12.6mm so the wall is 1.8mm.

16. Tulatin

should have worked... the stuff i use is 1mm wall i think.

17. DigitalX

DigitalX What's a Dremel?

Suomi on rautaa :thumb: Nice case, keep on rolling :D :clap: Just wondering how did you lose your ftp passwd? :duh:

18. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

sweet mod mate. GOod work.

19. tmerelin

Easily when installin a new OS :duh:

20. planki

planki ...

im really liking this mod so far, im especially loving the disconnectable water cooling leads!!