1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Spanned Volume question

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Williz, 14 Nov 2013.

1. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Quick question that I've not been able to find an answer to and probably won't unless someone else already knows the info... Or I take the dive and do what I want to do.

I've got an N40L homeserver with an OS drive of 128Gb SSD, I've got 4 x 1Tb drives setup as a spanned volume in Windows Homeserver 2011. Now I want to nuke the Homeserver OS as it's crap with bluetooth (No support for it) and I want to use a wireless keyboard/trackpad jobby. I kind of want to reformat it anyway to setup couchpotato,sickbeard and some other things properly which I didn't quite do right first time.

Basically use the homeserver as an auto downloader and archiver of media to serve to all my other devices. I also RDP into it from work to circumvent the firewall & Web filtering here (Also shows me using bugger all bandwidth).

Okay enough info here's the question. If I nuke the OS install and install plain windows 7 instead will I still be able to see the spanned volume correctly? Or will there be issues due to OS change? Is there something I can do to make sure the migration works?

If there isn't anything I can do I'm happy to just get everything re-downloading as I use usenet and have a good internet line anyway but I'd like to know before I do this.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I've moved Windows spanned volume to other OS version and even other machine before. All the info regarding the spanned volume is held on the disks. You might have to import it in disk manager but it's no big deal.
    Personally I don't like doing such things any more since libraries have existed I prefer to take advantage of it to have things appear to all be in one place. It's much better as if a disk dies it will often kill data on those multiple disk volumes.

Williz likes this.
  3. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Music to my ears Ivan! Thank you very much for the quick response. Google couldn't find diddly on this issue.
    I know I should be using hardware raid and I promise I will switch when I can get my hands on a couple of 4Tb drives!

4. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

just make a backup incase it doesn't work please :)

5. Williz

Williz Minimodder

It's only 4tb of stuff that can easily be downloaded in a week or so! The only time my server is off is whilst I'm sleeping (Fan noise)