1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Speaker Amp

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Yoda, 19 Jul 2002.

1. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

I am trying to wire a set of speakers from an old stereo to my PC.
    I need to create an amp for the output but I am not sure how to do that. Any help/skematics/info would be great.

2. dez

dez What's a Dremel?

my sound card has a line-out jack, i could always take the headphone jack form ur stereo, easy and simple, but ive never tryed. id presum it'd work.

3. CrazyJester

CrazyJester What's a Dremel?

The way I take it is he's getting rid of his old stereo, but the speakers are good enough to save. He wants to use those speakers with his computer, but they are not self powered, so he has to amplify the sound card's output signal in order for the speakers to be audible...

It would help to know about the speakers, and what kind of power you want to get out of them. Search on google and/or check out the Useful Links sticky thread http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4589 there are many many many many schematics for amps, from el cheapo lo quality, lo power, to more expensive, more complex, higher quality, higher power amps...

If they are nice enough speakers, you may want to just get an amp that you can plug your PC into, with a good 1/8" to RCA's if needed

4. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

You got it on the nose CrazyJester!!

Thanks for the help.

Mostly I just want to do it to see if I can. That is mainly why I do these sort of things.:cooldude:

5. dez

dez What's a Dremel?

yoda, we needs pics when this is done:) 69 baby!

6. linear

linear Minimodder

If you've never gone down this path before, a kit may be a nice first step.

May I recommend the "Intro to audio power amps" kit, available from Hosfelt (part # 99-111, $9.95) as a starter?

7. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

Well I decided to just harves the amp from my cheap pair of speakers and put them inside the porperly modded stereo speakers. It works/looks/sounds great. and it cost me next to nothing. I am going to post some pics to the mod forum and I'll put up a link on this thread to them.

:cooldude:

8. Magnolius

Magnolius What's a Dremel?

Yoda, I was thinking about doing the same thing.. My speakers are 100w I believe, and the speakers i am going to rip apart are the old "Multimedia" speakers that you can buy at any local walmart for like $3. Is this like the same thing you did, and if so, how'd ya do it?

9. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

Not quite the speakers I am using are lower power than that I think. but Considerably larger/higher power than my multimedia set. It worked great and They look even better. Should get some pics up soon. It will probably be in the Modding section:cooldude:

10. Magnolius

Well i went ahead and ripped apart my old speakers and while the amp was still in the original speakers, hooked up the new speakers, and tested it out. Sounds better, but still not the greatest, and the fact that I can't move the speakers more than 3 feet apart and from the PC is bothering me. I am thinking about putting together a small clear (or smoked black) case to house the amp and wire some RCA outputs on the back, so I could hook up ANY speakers to it if I wanted to. I would also change to red LED to a Blue one so it goes with my PC.

EDIT: Well i have been sitting here bored at work, and was looking around for something I could use for the housing. Now, I know this sounds REALLY cheap and possibly crappy, but how about some CD jewel cases, cut to size. I know, everyone is thinking "acrylic or plexi" but i am a cheap, no money, college student, and can only use the stuff around me. Any suggestions/ideas?

Last edited: 13 Aug 2002
  11. FullThrottleRic

FullThrottleRic What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, new poster here!!!!

We have a kit at work (Good ol' Maplin :D ) that is ideal for this type of thing...

www.Maplin.co.uk
    Code VF53 (£19.99), stereo amplifier module. It'll give a respectable 10watt's/channel (real watts, not car/computer watts) out.
    It comes with it's own supply rectification/smoothing, just needs 12v AC input to work, transformer should be at least 50VA.
    VS15 (£13.99) will do.
    For volume just put a 10k LOG duel gang pot on the input, JM83 (£0.99) will do nicely :hehe:

Transformer will work on 110 and 230v, depending on how you wire the primaries up.

12. linear

linear Minimodder

Welcome to the boards. More Maplin connections couldn't hurt. ;)

13. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Reading what Magnolius posted, I couldnt help but think that, in all the Radio Shacks I've been in, none of the help there could have explained anything like he did. Seems Maples has one thing that Radio Shack doesn't...knowledgable staff.

14. FullThrottleRic

FullThrottleRic What's a Dremel?

:blush:

:cooldude:

15. Magnolius

Huh? what'd i do?