1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics speaker volume pot questions

Discussion in 'Modding' started by meiv_4, 19 Dec 2004.

1. meiv_4

meiv_4 What's a Dremel?

ok so im attempting to make a wired remote thingy for my speakers basically the volume knob at the end of some wire. first question, if i just solder a pot with the same values onto the same spot as the other would i be able to leave them both on, like turn 1 all the way to max resistance, so the current goes through the lesser one? and if that makes sence andi can do that, how do i figure out what the values of the pot on there is?

not sure if this will help but poking at things with my multi meter.

. . .
    . . .
    pins look like this

the rightmost 2 pins are connected on a trace
    when the knob is in the lowest volume the middle 2 have 1.8 ohms between them and either of the middle ones has 1.2 ohms between them and the right pair

. . 1.2 .
    . . 1.2 .

when the knob is at maximum volume the top left and the top middlw have 1.1 ohms between and the bottom left and bottom middle have 1.1 as well

. 1.1 . .
    . 1.1 . .

2. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

1. No. Having both pots installed in parallel will just screw things up. The effective resistance would be the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of all resistors (R = (1/((1/R1)+(1/R2)+...(1/Rn)))).

2. If you know which of the terminals is the wiper, then measure the resistance across the other two. Also, are you sure your DMM isn't measuring kiloohms? 3 ohms sounds WAY too low for that application.

3. mottl3y

mottl3y What's a Dremel?

couldnt he just do it in series, if he wants to keep one permanently at 0 resistance and just use the other to control it.

4. meiv_4

meiv_4 What's a Dremel?

how bout if i put one between the comp and the speakers?

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

That's not how volume pots work. The ingoing signal is across the full resistance, a fraction of the full signal voltage is tapped off to feed the amplifier.

Add another pot and you change the load on the soundcard output, which may affect sound quality. If you want to try it, I'd suggest a 47k linear stereo pot with the outer legs to the line out & ground and wiper and common ground to amp in. The second pot will make it track a bit loggish.