1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mattbailey, 31 May 2011.

1. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

I've finally blown up my Creative Gigaworks S750 :waah: I might try and get it fixed, other wise I'm looking for a decent replacement, any ideas? The things that need to sound good are Battlefield2, 2142, BFBC2, and obviously BF3 at the end of the year - I already have a Creative X-Fi Gamer.

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

It depends what you want out of them and ultimately what you're prepared to pay. I'm waiting for my Gigaworks to die so I can buy the Bose Companion 3s or 5s (depending on the best deal on the day).

I use mine as a jukebox just as much as gaming speakers, so the Bose win for my needs.

3. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

Its purely gaming!

As for cost - as much as i'd love the best of the best, I can only sell 1 kidney (!), do it needs to be reasonable, no more than £150 I think

I'm thinking i should stick with 5.1 (not that I ever really noticed the 7.1 it currently does!)

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I'd like to be of any need but I use speakers only to listen to music. Basically I'm saving money to build a pair of Back loaded horn or Open bafle (I'm still hesitating).

Bluesky makes great 5.1 system, but this is expensive.

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If it's purely gaming, just get a standard set of pc speakers for general web browsing (£20 or 30 would be plenty) and invest the rest in a decent set of headphones or gaming headset - and not a 'surround' headset.

You'll still get positional audio through a stereo headset via your sound card trickery and because it's right on your ear, you'll hear more of the all important sound cues, like footsteps etc, than you will through a 5.1/7.1 speaker setup.

For the ultimate headphone/headset argument, search for posts by Docodine...