1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Spec me a lawnmower

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 17 May 2017.

1. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

My dad has had the same Mountfield Petrol mower for longer than I have been alive, He also recently received my Grandfathers Honda petrol mower both work wonderfully.

I am not sure of which models but I would highly recommend both of those brands

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thought about a cordless but not sure that it would handle the neighbours bit of lawn as his grass is really different from normal grass, that does not sound right. But his grass seems to grow longer in some parts than in others and is really coarse, a different grass all together I would think.

I am deciding between these two.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Rotak-Electric-Rotary-Cutting/dp/B0099LETKS/ref=dp_ob_title_hi
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...ag=lawnmowerwizard-21&linkId=QP5BLYKYYF724HRG

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Bought that Bosch with the mother in law a few weeks ago (From B&Q Hermiston Gait) for her to use on her EH10 lawns (about 50m2 I'd guess). She wanted something super light to replace her hover which was becoming too much for her to 'swing around' and didn't collect the cuttings. I remember carrying it back to the car balanced on my head, the thing only weighs 7kg.

It's a lightweight mower that gets the job done. It's not built tough enough to be used eight hours a day by a pro, but it's perfect for her needs.

It was my other half who unboxed it and gave the lawn the first totally uneventful cut with it. I can't remember what she said about it, nothing bad or otherwise untoward. Basically...

It's a lawnmower.
    It mowed the lawn and did a fine job too.
    It went to live in the shed.

There you go. A personal recommendation, and it's even from Auld Reekie.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks, I have been leaning more towards the Bosch as it does get the slightly better reviews. A professional I am not, a few minutes a week over the season is plenty of cutting time for me. :D

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Glenn, I agree with Guinevere on choosing the Bosch.

We have the Flymo or its predecessor as chosen by SWMBO to replace the Bosch on wheels that she broke by mowing a piece of angle iron buried in the lawn....I hate it.

Is doesn't track nicely, so you can't do straightish lines easily, and once half full, doesn't hover.
    To adjust the cut height, you have to remove the blade and add/remove spacer discs. I tried it last weekend and can't do it as it's jammed solid. As you may surmise, I DO NOT LIKE IT.

I will be getting a Bosch Rotak of some sort when I have spare pennies.

6. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Don't get the Flymo Easy Glide 300, we have one at home I don't like it. If you want to mow staight lines get a mower with wheels, if you want a hover mower get one you can move in all directions. The Easy Glide has no selling point in my opinion.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Straight lines are pretty much immaterial in the bits that I will be cutting, basically all I am looking for is something that will cut to a shortish length and collect the grass.

8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

You're doing it wrong :duh:

[​IMG]

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am doing what wrong?