1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Spec me a PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by javaman, 28 Aug 2023.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hey everyone,

Looking for a PSU for a friend who's old one hasn't completely died but isn't playing well with his new upgrade.

He has a Ryzen 5 4500 and 5700XT so probably needs something in the 500W-600W range. Trying to find something that is not only recommended but also available (or take 6 months to dispatch) and won't break the bank is proving tough.

Has anyone any recommendations preferably under £100? It feels like PSU prices are much higher than a few years ago

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I'd pick between these two

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/L7XCyg

EDIT: If PCParticker is being an arse -

Seasonic FOCUS 550W @ £90 - https://www.currys.co.uk/products/seasonic-focus-px550-modular-psu-550-w-10205854.html

BeQuiet Pure Power 12M 550W @ £94 - https://www.scan.co.uk/products/550...ld-dual-rail-458a-pcie-50-120mm-fan-atx30-psu

javaman likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

4. javaman

Thanks @RedFlames and @Vault-Tec dug into both those recommendations and would probably lean towards the Seasonic Focus.

Had a few BeQuiet PSU over the years. Fans tend to be noisy but been fairly solid. I always get mixed up in their range between the different naming tho. At £94 I still feel I should be looking at a 600W psu.

the Seasonic G12 looks like they outsource manufacturing for making me slightly hesitant about.

The Antec one looks like a steal but also seems low on tier lists. 7 Year warranty tho....

Anything I've missed looking at those other 3 that might swing me back around?

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Looking at his spec I think that maybe your eyes are being bigger than his belly tbh. I get it, good PSUs are good, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Antec. At all. It is more than enough for his hardware.

Why would you buy a top spec PSU for a lower mid range system? just makes no sense man. If it were a brand new rig with brand new hardware? I would understand more. I think the price cut on the Seasonic is down to the fact it isn't modular. Though again, why pay for something that the rig probably doesn't need?

javaman likes this.
  6. javaman

He does keep his PC's a good long time. The PSU that is being replaced started life in
    In his Phenom ii 550 GTX260 machine. Currently he is running an FX6300 and GTX 970.

PSU is something I've learnt to never skimp on. My first PC had a PSU failure after less than a year taking a hard drive and the GPU with it.

Parents PC used for nothing more than office work had a PSU that would cut out despite being more than enough for the PC. Took it to get tested and CPU 4 pin connector was dropping out of spec once the PSU had been running for 5 mins and warmed up.

Antec PSUs are just a brand I've never used before so have no first hand experience with. Seasonic on the other hand I do, in fact I'm running one in my HTPC for 5+ years currently. The fact is runs quiet by rarely spinning up the fan is something of a bonus.

I do take on board what you are saying. The Antec should be more than enough and is a supurb price. I'm just cautious jumping in and potentially cutting corners especially as I'll be playing tech support

7. RedFlames

Also with the Seasonic being from currys/pissy world you, in theory, have the option of physically going and picking it up which can be handy if you need it right ****ing now.

As for the choices... I've been on the receiving end of 'splody PSU enough times to not want to cheap out on one. So if it was my money and my kit i would probably buy the Seasonic.

Sentinel-R1 and javaman like this.
  8. javaman

If only that were true. Attempted to pull the trigger and apparently there is no stock in NI despite their stock checker claiming there was. A voice chat later confirmed that they have no stock and no idea if never mind when more would arrive.

Circled back on the other SeasSonics vs BeQuiet vs Antec. The Seasonics wouldn't arrive for 2+ weeks while BeQuiet £12 delivery to NI pushed the price up beyond their 650W version from other stores.

The Antec is looking the only one I can get by Friday this week/Monday Next week and won't be creeping over the £100 mark including delivery.

9. RedFlames

I, like most of the UK, forgot NI was a thing...

...in that case 'what's best' is kinda irrelevant... it's 'what's available'...

javaman likes this.
  10. javaman

Ok that got a chuckle....

Really feels like availability

EDIT:
    ...... is very poor these days. Is it just an NI thing or is it more widespread and across other items

Last edited: 1 Sep 2023