1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Speeding laws...

Discussion in 'General' started by will., 13 Jun 2009.

1. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

On a slightly unrelated topic, I've always thought that it would suck to drive a marked police car as everyone in front of you would always follow the speed limit.

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

That's why if you ever see a police car, or one of those service cars that look like police at a glance they travel at 65 so that people can overtake. They know damn well that they cause huge traffic jams otherwise.

It's such a broken system.

3. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Surely the worst case would be a few points and £60 fine? My house mate got £200 fine for doing 95 on the M6, pretty lucky as anything over that is automatic court summons.

4. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

£60 fine and it also f***s up you insurance premium.

5. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Only added £40 to mine, and that’s next year when I renew, didn’t make a difference to my current policy. (don’t really mind my own fault for getting caught :) )

6. Matticus

Matticus ...

Really?

I was told that 3 points does nothing to your insurance, its 6 points when it changes. This was by a woman at direct line,she asked me if I had points, I don't. But I asked how much it would change if I did. My friend who works at 'more than' confirmed this to me as well.

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

yeah congratulations, you are right. :rolleyes:

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Heh! I've never seen a cop do the speed limit.

Whenever I'm on the highway and there is a cop, he hangs in the left lane (passing lane here) and just drives close behind everyone until they see the distinctive "Crown Vic" headlights in their rear-view mirror, and change lanes. If there's no one ahead of him, he does 20mph over the speed limit, or faster.

Hell, a few days after my experience on the last page, I was on the same road, stopped at a red light. It's a stupidly long red light, because there's hardly ever any other cars and it's the slowest light ever. Cop pulls up behind me, stops, then crosses the double-yellow line and blasts through the red light at full throttle. He pretty much went down the road and ran every red light. No sirens or lights or anything - just didn't feel like waiting.

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Do your Police have degree levels of call response? In Colorado we have at least 3, with code 3 being the highest with lights and sirens. We have another degree that includes the use of lights at intersections and heavy traffic situations but no siren. Used to get to things like domestic violence situations quietly. We also have police response at higher speeds with no lights or sirens for things like silent alarms in jewelry stores, or malls. Tis dangerous that one and not used much.

john

10. Altron

Altron Minimodder

The issue was that he actually pulled up behind me and stopped, then pulled out to my side, then ran the light. I think if it was an emergency, he would not have stopped behind me before running the light - he would have gone right up to it. It seemed like he was like "ohh... wait... I'm driving a police car! I don't need to stop for the lights like a plebian!"

11. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

What really freaks me is sitting at a light and a police car or worse yet a firetruck behind or beside me gets a call and turns on the lights and sirens . Where to go? Do I move? Sit the heck still? Bend over and kiss? Happened to us several times. State drivers license manual doesn't cover this situation.

john

12. Altron

Altron Minimodder

yeah I usually get further onto the shoulder, unless I'm stuck with a car in front of me, then I just hope the fire truck is using the other lane.

drivers around here are pretty wild... usually, if I hear sirens, I look around for lights, and if they're coming towards me, I pull over and stop. Half the time, the asshole behind me flips the bird or lays on the horn, then pulls out and goes around me. WTF! It's an ambulance! Someone's life is in danger, and you're flippin' **** at me for stopping to let it through?