1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Speeding up a Sandy Bridge Laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Arboreal, 4 Jan 2019.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

We have a Dell i3 Sandy Bridge laptop at work which I think could be running faster than it is.

It's running the original Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit (with 3GB of RAM) installation which has been cloned onto an SSD - fitting it was a PAIN, as it was in the bottom of the case with no hatch...

I can bump the RAM to 4Gb with what's here - is that going to help much?
    What easy & free software can I use to test if this is an effective upgrade?

Otherwise, I could reinstall Win 7 (or upgrade the install to Win 10) to get rid of any Dell bloatware from the original install.

Suggestions please

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Fresh install of 10 (you should be able to use his 7 COA still) should see it improve especially if he already has an SSD fitted.

3. Arboreal

Thought so, thanks @modd1uk
    I'll try the extra GB of RAM too as it's here.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm gonna be that guy.

Seeing that it's such an old laptop, it'll probably just be used for internet and the sorts, right?

Wouldn't a light weight linux distro be a possibility? Something like Lubuntu?

deathtaker27 and Arboreal like this.
  5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Depending what temps are like, you may be experiencing thermal throttling which would also slow it down. Maybe fresh TIM and a good clean out whilst you're digging around in there.

Arboreal likes this.
  6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Sounds like its the sort of laptop that requires a FULL strip down to do anything half involved, although if you're familiar with it after fitting the SSD it may be worth a shot (check temps, you'll see if its mega high)

Arboreal likes this.
  7. Arboreal

I think I'll do a reinstall first, (the trauma of getting in there and finding 2 broken plastic posts that support the lid is still with me!), and see if that makes it more responsive.

I'm not sure that the boss will appreciate Lubuntu and Libre Office suddenly appearing, it'll be a culture shock!

Thanks all, it looks like a backup and clean reinstall next week

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

A clone of a HDD to SSD is never a grand idea anyway... do it right, man! :D

lancer778544, modd1uk and Arboreal like this.