1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SSD Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonoin101, 7 May 2012.

1. jonoin101

jonoin101 What's a Dremel?

I currently have a crucial c300 GB ssd and was thinking of dropping a larger one into my system as this one simply doesn't have the room for all the games i want to have installed. I was thinking about a GB m4 but i would be open to any suggestions to what my plan should be in either sticking with crucial or trying something else, my budget would be around £200 :D

Last edited: 7 May 2012
  2. tp148

tp148 Minimodder

Crucial m4's are highly regarded/recommended by many users, there are faster drives out there but Crucial and Intel are good for reliability.
    cheers

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

or Vertex 3

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Whilst, for a games only SSD, the 256GB M4 would be fine...

...'if' you also do anything 'clever' with your PC (or want to somewhat 'future proof' against a change in use to something more disk intensive/heavier multitasking/etc) you'd be better off going with a higher end one.

Well, afaik, it's the last day for the VAT back deal on the 256GB Samsung 830s today...

On Dabs, they're listed @ £239.98...

...there's a current Samsung offer to refund the VAT - ~£199.99

...& going to Dabs through topcashback you can get ~£4 in cash back...

...so that's roughly £196 all in for a *much* better drive than the M4...

...but it's up to you if your proposed use is worth spending the extra...

(it's only a ltd no of e-tailers that are doing the VAT-back deal btw)

5. jonoin101

Thanks for the tip:D:thumb: Thought the samsung was out of my price range! I've been to dabs and ordered one of the 256GB ones and when it arrives will sort out the vat refund ty for the help:clap::clap::clap:

6. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

No worries...

Yeah, it's a very good deal considering that it's both not that much more than the M4 & is much cheaper than the other higher end offerings.

Despite prefering the tech in the SFs, i really did consider this myself, but can't justify more SSDs yet...

if you do actually do a reasonable amount of 'clever' things (or just want non-gaming activities to be that bit quicker), it would be worthwhile making this new drive the boot one - leaving a decent amount of free space & thinking about following Samsung's recommendation of increasing the OP...

...though you'd get more usable space by using it only for games - there's then no gain to extra OP & you can leave minimal free space.

That's your call though...

Oh, & my reading of the VAT offer was that you could use Samsung's online form just by submitting the invoice details - which you would have from ordering...

...still for a couple of days, it's probably easier to wait.

7. jonoin101

At the moment i use my existing 128gb c300 ssd for my OS photo's and a few games, all my media is on a separate 2TB wd green hdd and I have a 1tb drive for other bits and bobs. Its just that with the size of games theses days especially mmo's and the like it doesnt take long to fill a 128gb ssd, and i'll bet i'll be getting a 512gb one at some point when i start complaining about this one being full :naughty: And looking at the same vat rebate i think as long as the invoice is dated with today's date then it'll be fine

8. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Taking them in order...

it was more that the 830 will be much quicker than the C300 as an OS drive - but 'if' you're not doing anything 'clever' (disk intensive, heavy multitasking, etc) then it'd be quicker to add it as a games only SSD & you could just use (almost) the full capacity...

...although it might be the perfect opportunity for a clean installation - even with Win7, it's worth doing one every 6 months or so in my experience.

Re the VAT refund, it was simply that you 'could' use the online form to apply for the refund today using your emailed invoice to save time/try & get the money quicker... ...not at all that it wouldn't be valid if you waited for the SSD to arrive.