1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SSD on PCI-e... I want it NOW!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Denis_iii, 5 Dec 2008.

1. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

2. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

awesome, but those guys are creepy...

3. Denis_iii

agreed, now see why engineers are hidden away!

4. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

That would be PCIe, PCIX is an older standard that is a faster, larger kind of PCI.

I agree what this is the way flash should be used but it will take a while for the industry thats currently set up for rust drives to switch their way of thinking to something so different.

Moriquendi

5. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

6. Denis_iii

e x apples and oranges :) you know what I meant

7. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

I was reading a biography of my Great Uncle Chuck (Charles Peddle) and they mentioned that often times in those days they had table sized paper diagrams of the chips (MOS 6502) and they would take their shoes off and climb on the table to make changes or annotations. Apparently most of them would have holes in their socks and it was a generally unpleasureable experience to be in the room... lol.

Faster than you might think, if the pricing is comparable (within 200% of SAS15k) I will definitely implement this in the next server solution I build. Computer Port tends to sit a little closer to the bleeding edge than most OEMs but the numbers they are throwing out there outweigh almost any risk. *Grins* I can't wait to play around with it, see what boot times are like with that sucker! Anyone want one in a system so I can build it, anyone?

Notice any "buy" button? I contacted them for sales already, as soon as they get back I will give the world an idea of what to expect for price and such, unless they lock me down with some clause of the partner program, that would suck.

8. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I googled it a while ago, and saw it listed "somewhere" at $7200 for the 160GB version. Bargain! :D

9. Denis_iii

total bargain! I just have to not use my Bugatti veyron for a day and I'd save that in fuel which basically makes it free :naughty::D

10. Fumduck

Fumduck Have torch, will melt.

1 Please

Dear Santa,

I have been a good boy this year. Maybe not a VERY good boy, but my missus says I'm "nicely naughty". :naughty: If you could find it in your heart to place this under the tree this year, I promise I will try to be a VERY good boy next year.

Thanks,
    Fumduck

Ok, so that was a bit silly, but fun. (for me at least :) ) I saw a post about this Friday last, and it really does look like a fun bit of equipment. And should help with energy consumption issues a tad too.

Here's hoping this bit of tech goes mainstream and down in price. :thumb:

11. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Fusion io Pricing

The 80GB and 160GB have much higher performance than the 320GB due to the method of access and the 80GB isn't THAT bad... that said, a 10x increase in price over a 73GB SAS drive isn't entirely justified. I'll wait until they come down to 3x the price of SAS (under $900 US).

Also, Fusion io does not sell to the public, only to OEMs, which means if you buy it from me or another small OEM, you will pay retail markup of 33% on these items at the very least.